Can I shorten wooden shafts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzybee

Reaction score
My mini came with a harness and cart. I am quickly learning that the set-up isn't optimal for her. The cart shafts are wooden. The rest of the cart is metal. The shafts measure 58 inches and my pony could use a full 10 inches less than that. Any reason why I couldn't cut some length off the back of the shafts, drill 3 new holes for bolts and reassemble?

I don't know either, I would think the balance is going to be difficult to get right. And they will probably be too wide. You can buy new shafts though fairly reasonably.

If the shafts fit, other than being too long, then it should be okay to cut some off the back, drill new holes and put them back on. However--first make sure the rest of the cart is not too big. If it is, then you will not be able to balance the cart.

To be honest. Sometimes (wooden shafts) it will set them off balance if they are cut as wooden shafts also are shaped to fit and balance. It might be better to sell the cart you have and get one that works for you. It might be better because if cutting them doesn't work you will be stuck with a cart that needs shafts..

Also if the cart has a brand name look them up and see if you can buy new shorter shafts..

Alot of times cutting metal shafts are much easier.. good luck..

The only reason this would not work is the width. As you move backward in the shafts they most likely get wider. And using shafts that are too wide is just as bad for the pony as using shafts that are too narrow.

It's best to purchase another set of shafts. Also, I have to wonder if the rest of the cart is too big for your pony? If the shafts are too long it's likely the rest of the cart is also too big.

Latest posts

Back