Can I see your Palomino Duns.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
My month old colt is definitely a dun but I am starting to think palomino. He is getting light hairs in his mane and his tail is white with the dun stripe down the middle of it. Mom is a grulla possibly smokey black (want to test her) and dad is a silver seal brown we think (again, need to test him). Here are some pictures of Sol Man but they don't show the white hairs coming into his mane.

solman4.jpg

solman5weeks.jpg

solmantail5weeks.jpg

So I would love to see foal pictures and adult pictures and any opinions! Thanks so much!!

Sorry I can't be much help but...

This is Raylinda Favors Image. She is listed as a Palomino with AMHA. I am not sure on that. I would probably call her a red dun pinto. She does have a pretty dark dorsal stripe. I don't have any baby pictures of her.

image10.jpg

image14.jpg

Thank you. She is very pretty!! I look forward to seeing my little grown up a bit more but i don't think i will be keeping him. I'll have to see!

PaintedMeadows I am not sure that is a dorsal. The line as I can see it in the picture looks like simple foal countershading and his tail may well darken as he matures. Most foals are born with a darker center and light (even white on a black tail) hairs on the outside of the tail. Does he have any other indications that he carries dun? Shoulder bars, stripes on the backs of his legs...? Nice looking boy regardless of the colour he turns out to be.

If anything, I would think your foal is a red dun. He would look more palomino if he was a dunalino. That mare posted, is definately a red dun pinto.

Last edited by a moderator:
His legs are white so hard to tell there but he does look like he has light shoulder bars, darker ear tips and possibly cobwebbing on his face. Mom is definitely a grulla but also possibly carries cream. I guess I'll have to test him or wait until he sheds out well.. thanks for your compliments on him. He is a really nice little fellow too.

Wow he has some pretty neat markings on him!! Cute and a neat color what ever he turns out to be
default_smile.png

He is cute...but the only help on color I can give is if he doesn't have a dun parent he can't be a dun. It falls under the same as roans. And I just looked at your pics again, I don't see a dorsal. If he had a true dorsal it would be through his white area on his rump too. He may be a very light sorrel but I would love to know myself seeing as he is a gorgeous baby.

The dun stripe doesn't go through the white of a pinto or at least not on any pinto I have ever seen. Also, his mom is grulla or black dun so there is the dun gene. I'll just wait and see when he sheds out and grows some more I guess.

He does look like he very well counld be a red dun. Just like any other color, it can come in all shades, from very light to very dark. I had a full foal crop of duns this year, and the reds were a wide array of shades! Do you have any pics take looking down over his topline so we could better see if he has a dorsal stripe?

In case this is helpful, here is a silver bay dun mare I used to own (lost her and her foal this past spring)
depresse.gif
She "looked" palomino dun and was registered palomino, but she was really light silver bay dun
default_wub.png

Goldie%20--%2007012006%20--%20034.jpg

Thank you. I will have to see what I have. Jill, your gal was just beautiful!! I am so sorry you lost her. Her pictures always made me think of a colt I had here for a while. It is possible my little guy could be silver bay as dad is but he is very dark. Thanks for posting her picture. Loved her!

OK. You can see part of his stripe in this one.

solmanitch.jpg

He has lightened quite a bit since he was born but I can still see his stripe. Once I get my clipper blades back I will clip his line and see if it is darker.

Yes, I would say your colt is definately a dun! Jill, just curious...did you have the mare color tested? If so, what did you test for and what were the results? She sure is(was) a pretty girl!

Yay!! Thank you Mona. I was admiring your foals! All so very nice!!! Thanks for your time!!

Mona --

We never did color test Goldie. However, her lower legs were smokey-silver. I beleive she was a silver bay dun, and not carrying any cream dilute. Also, note a yearling picture of her.

I miss her a lot. Losing her how we did was by far the worst horse experience I ever had. Thank God my other three foals and their dams are all okay.

Jill

goldie-show-3.jpg

I bet she was a red dun with silver gene? I wonder if Rabbitsfiz would know? She looks very much like my light red dun filly from this year, only mine does not carry silver. The legs of a red dun are darker as a silver bay would be, if that is what you mean. Or what exactly do you mean by her legs being a silver smokey? Maybe I am misunderstanding and picturing it wrong in my mind.

She sure is a pretty girl, no matter the color, and I can only imagine how much you do miss her! Those foalings that go bad, can be just sickening to us owners. I have not lost a mare yet, but had 2 VERY bad foaling experiences, but thank God, the mares lived.

Well I am delighted to come across this topic and your foal is a beautiful boy by the way
default_smile.png
I think it will be interesting to see what colour he goes when molting.

I have a chestnut foal that is out of a Dunalino mare and by a chestnut stallion - the dorsal stripe he had (or foal camoflague) has disappeared under his foal coat now that he is molting. But his legs have gone a sooty colour so I am wondering if he is a red dun now going on the colour of his legs
default_rolleyes.gif

The dam - Shadowplay Sahara Moon

2008_0705shows0008.jpg

Prince before the molting (looks like a typical chestnut)

2008_0522Prince0008.jpg

And here he is now and his legs have gone a funny sooty colour

2008_0801Kerry0137.jpg

2008_0801Kerry0145.jpg

2008_0801Kerry0142.jpg

Latest posts

Back