Can I see your Palomino Duns.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bannerminis, your colt looks like he might be a silver bay? I know you said the sire was a chestnut, but can you post a pic of him? Silver bays are often misregistered as chestnut.

Edited to add: I keep looking at that colt's pics, and I bet he is a chestnut! Just a darker shade underneath. That red forelock just is not right for a silver bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet she was a red dun with silver gene? I wonder if Rabbitsfiz would know? She looks very much like my light red dun filly from this year, only mine does not carry silver. The legs of a red dun are darker as a silver bay would be, if that is what you mean. Or what exactly do you mean by her legs being a silver smokey? Maybe I am misunderstanding and picturing it wrong in my mind.
I mean her lower legs had a smoky-cast where when clipped, they were greyish like my other silver bay. She also had intense dapples making me think silver bay even more so, since it doesn't show on red. She had a snow white mane and tail like you see on silver dapples often, with some dark hairs mixed in. Rabit could take a guess, no doubt. I just know what I think she was and always thought she was.

Yes, it is really bad when foaling goes like it did. And she was my first mare to foal, after years of planning it all. Felt like a roller coaster I wanted off of to have lost her and had three more yet to foal. For a few days, I seriiously thought I wanted totally out of minis.

Jill, I never knew you lost Goldie
default_sad.png
She was beautiful, Im so sorry. I know what a horror bad foaling is and its hard enough to lose a precious baby let alone a beloved mare.

Jill,

I also want to say how shocked and saddened to learn about Goldie. I can only imagine what a horrible, helpless situation that must be. I am so sorry.

susanne

This was my tested palomino dun stallion (tested for the cream gene)

HaloFieldNice.JPG

We sadly lost him after only a year of having him
default_no.gif
and only ever had 2 foals from him ourselfs. A palomino who we have retained to run on, and a chestnut dun who has now gone grey. However i know from previous people who had a wide arrange of colours on his babies.

Oooohhhhh, he was purty! I am so sorry you lost him.
default_no.gif
He looks much he same color as my little guy. I was looking at Sol Man's mane again yesterday and it has even more white in it. I can't wait to see how he matures. Thanks for posting everyone. I really appreciate it!!

What a darling foal !!

(Whatever color
default_smile.png
)

I had my mare & foal tested in June.

DunWindyDusty2.JPG

Windy is a Silver Bay (and I'm pretty sure Dun... though not tested for Dun).

She is E/e, A/a, and ZZ.

Her foal is a Chestnut with aguoti and silver (and I think Dun, but his stripe is light... and not showing in this pic).

He is e/e, A/a and ZZ

I find colors fascinating.

(But I sure do Not have a handle on it yet
default_wink.png
)

Jill,

I am so very sorry to hear about Goldie

(I always loved seeing her. )

Is there a tests now for Dun?? I know they have new tests now for Grey and Champagne but havent seen one for Dun

There is now a test for dun, but as I understand it, you need samples from the horse in question AND samples from both parents.

I didn't know there was a test for grey!!! Do you know where you can get that one done? I have a colt sired by my grey stallion, but he's looking sabino roan to me, vs. greying like his paternal sister. He's roaning but hasn't progressed and is just like another foal I had born in 2003... his dam is sabino and my husband and I keep trying to figure out what outfit "Ducky" will decide to go with (grey or black sabino roan).

PS thank you, Becky
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using Animal Genetics in the UK for my colour testing and find them good.

Here is the link for them and you will see that they have the grey test ready for end of August.

http://www.horsedna.co.uk/

Could you give me the link for where I could test for Dun please
default_smile.png
I have the mare and the stallion which I have sold only lives a few miles away so can easily get a sample. Would be much appreciated.

Back