Can I see some pics of Dwarfs.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secret22

Reaction score
I am curious to see pics and infomation about dwarfs. Can they grow to be adult miniatures?? How are they created and why?? Whats bad about them?? Are they killed?? Bla Bla Bla - I would like to know everything please!!
default_smile.png

Here are my 2 very, very precious little dwarves, Treasure and Buddy. They are both about 8 months old - they were given to me when they were weanlings.

Treasure has some breathing problems and Buddy has problems with his little legs, he now has the "magic shoes" from Janell to help straighten out his little feet.

They are the most lovable little sweethearts that you could ever imagine. I have tried so hard NOT to get so attached but believe me that is an impossibility.

Treasure and Buddy have the run of the area around the barn, they can come into their stall whenever they want to, we have made their feeders and hayfeeder down to their level. They love people and Treasure "insists" on having her candy mints every day. These 2 little guys are inseperable and they seem to take care of and look out for each other.

BuddyTreasure.jpg

Here is another picture of Treasure: You can see how huggable and lovable she is:

Kamryn-Treas.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Heres my sweeties... Dol is the white one, she has very minimal problems. But note her short neck.. and she has a very bad underbite. Pretty Girl is the sorrle. She mostly just have very short legs. She also has stifle problems because of it. No other problems though.[/SIZE]

April

MVC-607S.jpg

MVC-875S.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Heres my sweeties... Dol is the white one, she has very minimal problems. But note her short neck.. and she has a very bad underbite. Pretty Girl is the sorrle. She mostly just have very short legs. She also has stifle problems because of it. No other problems though.[/SIZE]

April

MVC-607S.jpg

MVC-875S.jpg

This is a wonderful example of the two "main" different types of Dwarfs.

The little white one is a "Brachycephalic" Dwarf. These will usually have some, if not all, of these characteristics....bulbous forheads, underbites, short necks, leg deformities, pot-bellies.

The little red one is an "Achondroplastic" Dwarf. This type of dwarf usually appears "normal" except for the fact that their upper leg bones are extremely shortened. Because of this, they are usually very cow-hocked (spayed) in the rear. They almost give the appearance of a weiner dog...legs much too short for the body length.

All the Dwarfs that have been posted are absolutely adorable....and having one of my own at one time, I KNOW they are dearly loved!
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a photo of Hobbit. He is in horses heaven now
default_sad.png
We had him put to rest at 2 months. He has lots of health issues and it was the best thing for him. He was so sweet and lovable. Just a little doll and was everyone little love bug. We all miss him. :no:

a42a1851.jpg

Susan,

Thanks for sharing your story about little Hal. He was just adorable! I can tell that he was so very much loved.

No one can describe the awesome feeling of being "owned by a dwarf" unless you have been there.

I hope that little Treasure and Buddy will be able to have a long life, but I know for sure that they will always be a part of my heart.

[SIZE=18pt]Here's my "Brat Pack"[/SIZE]

From left to right is Chubby, (now an angel), Patty Twink, & Angel

The3Brats.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Here's Angel acking like a little bucking bronco!
default_wub.png
: [/SIZE]
BuckingAngel.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]And here's little Angel snubbing advances from one of our colts! I call it[/SIZE]

"Not tonight, I have a headache"

dc50be11.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]And then there's Lil Abner, The newest member of the "Brat Pack"[/SIZE]

MVC-001S.jpg

I have the second type of Dwarf the Achondroplastic. I got him when he was a yearling. He was given to me by the breeder as a companion horse to the colt I bought from from her as a pet. He is now 14 years old. He is slowing down a bit, but he gets along pretty well. I was just wondering what the life span is on a dwarf?

Secret22 I was glad to see that you joinded us on Little Bit's Forum. I hope you have had a chance to look at some of the folk's albums of their special animals.

I have adopted 7 of these special little horses over the last 10 years, and still have 6. I lost my beloved Little Bit almost 3 years ago! Gosh! it's hard to believe it's been that long! But Bill's little Angel was born about 5 minutes after my Little Bit passed away and she will be 3 years old June 2nd.
default_smile.png
I'm so proud of her!

I have to add some pictures of "The Biscuits" as I lovenly call my special little ones.
default_smile.png

This is the first little dwarf mini I adopted, she just turned 10 years old! I'm VERY proud of her, too!

I'm very proud of all my little dwarf minis, as if ya could tell.

This is my Tessa

Tessalooking300.jpg

This is my Little Bit at the age of two and 19 inches tall, he lived to be a little over 3 years old and got up to 20 inches

98ac15ee.jpg

This is my little minimal dwarf Dusty who will be 8 years old this spring

DUSTY_3_19_04.jpg

Here's my little Inky at age 2, he'll be 3 this spring

InkyChristmasboy1croppedresized.jpg

Here is Inky standing next to my Percheron mare last winter

Inkyandmidnight04resized.jpg

This is little my little Strawberry Delight, she will be 4 this spring(Brachycephalic dwarf)

StrawberryandToy106.jpg

And this is the last baby I adopted last spring, Toy, she was going to be euthanized if I didn't take her, what a shame that would have been. Toy is 10 months old now, she's an Achondroplasia dwarf

StrawberryandToygrazing106.jpg

This is sweet little Smidgen, she will be 2 years old this spring

MommaandSmidgenChristmas05.jpg

Here are our "Shortcakes" Our Special Needs Kids.

First is Zoey which will be 2 in July.

internetzoeyclpdcuty.JPG

Zoey when she was first born: For 4 days we had to milk mom and feed Zoey through a stomach tube until she learned how to stand just right and latch on to mom with her tongue. The love she has to give makes everything worth it.

zoey6.jpg

zoey_melilbeg.jpg

And here are our two new adoptees that we picked up yesterday, Valentines Day. Gimley (Pinto) will be 2 April 1, and Ice Cube was born sometime in June we think.

GimleyandIceCuberesized.jpg

GimleyIcecube.jpg

Midnight-Star_stables you wrote:

Beautiful Dwarft Guys! They are so loved!

default_wub.png
: THEY SURE ARE!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

These very special little horses are a HUGE commitment, and they certainly are NOT for everyone, but for some of us who are dedicated to their wellbeing, they give us more pleasure and love than anything else in the world! Well, other than our human loved ones.
default_smile.png

We are trying to educate folks about dwarfism in the Miniature Horse and the care of these precious little lives. We firmly believe that they deserve to have the very best life possible, and we are willing to make the commitment to our horses to give them a pain free, happy life for as long as possible.
default_yes.gif
:

Here's my little Buddy! He has the short neck, bulby head, crooked legs and the probably the most troublesome is a narrowed trachea. He is prone to choking episodes and has already had pneumonia once and we almost lost him. I love every adorable inch of him!

78f7e61d.jpg

Oh, I forgot to add. He's 3 now and this photo was taken when he was a yearling.

I have two dwarves - Nutmeg (aka Meg or Meggie) will be 7 this year and Clove (gelding) will be 6.

Here are links to 2 webpages I have for them on an OLD website that AOL has not yet deleted..

The rest of the pages on the website are worthless -- but you can see my buddies here.

http://hometown.aol.com/foxholler/megclove.html

http://hometown.aol.com/foxholler/dwarfleg.html

They run our farm and are like big dogs -- we did not breed either one of them. When I bought Clove and his momma we were not sure he was a dwarf -- he looked pretty normal (except for his foot problems) when he was a suckling and weanling -- his mouth had a good bite until he was almost a year old. The other dwarf characteristics started emerging at the same time. I sold his mother not knowing for sure that he was a dwarf. We tried something like the "magic shoes" on Clove -- but we were not successful in correcting both of his hind feet -- so we allowed the one that had been corrected to regress - so he would be balanced.

He runs so fast you can't catch him.. and only has problems when the ground is dry and hard - or frozen and hard.

Meggie had a correct bite until she was almost a year old as well. She had a lot of surgery on her front legs when she was a newborn -- and still wears a glueshoe much like a magic shoe -- on one of her front feet. She also runs quite fast when she thinks she is getting away with some mischief.

We love them both very much.

JJay

Wow! Dwarfs are so cute!
default_wub.png
: But I heard that they can have a lot of health problems~ But they are adorable! Yey!

Mini Horse Lover :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back