Can I see pics of your

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpwildrose

Reaction score
I had a foal born yesterday...........looks bay, but curious to see other bays as weanlings, as she has silvery legs and black silvery tail. Black mane and forelock. My internet @ home wasn't working (again), so couldn't send current pics. Thank goodness I have internet @ work........
aktion033.gif

I didn't raise the little guy, bought him as a yearling, but do have pictures from last year.

The first was taken when he quite young, the second was taken about as a weanling (he was registered as a red dun) and the last was taken in January about a week before I brought him home).

dakotacollage.jpg

His picture in my avatar was taken about a week ago or so (his mane is very sunbleached). Both his parents are buckskin, so I had him DNA color tested to verify his coloring; couldn't decide between bay and buckskin, he's bay.

Bay foals usually don't have black legs at birth, it's also very common for bay foals to have lighter hair in the tail, usually at the edges. As soon as she starts to shed her foal coat she'll have black legs. Since it's later in the year, depending on where you live, she may not totally shed her foal coat before she starts to get her winter hair, but when she sheds in the spring her legs will be black.

Here are two different bay colts we had this year, both have been body clipped and they are a couple weeks to a couple months old in these pictures, so their coloring is probably going to be a bit different from your foals. The parents of the first colt are both bay, parents of the second are bay and black (same sire for both colts).

cinncolt3.jpg

baycolt1.jpg

Chandab, your colt's pics are very different, I've never seen such a color change. Cute boy!

Sarah is right, most bays are born with light colored legs, and frequently have white or light colored hair in their tails too.

This pic is of my bay gelding as a weanling
r_04_f.jpg

Here are two bay foals born this year; both are clipped (but the one on the right hasn't had her legs clipped). Look at the difference in color! The one on the right clipped out nearly black, which most of my bay foals do as babies.
f_mesmerizing_04_f.jpg

This pic shows them too, you can see how differently they are shaded.

Now the other filly, she is actually a silver bay. Yes she is! But she is a silver bay roan (probably not true roan, just roaned out alot) sabino appaloosa.
biggrin.gif

Ok, duh, I forgot to put that last picture in!
f_mesmerizing_05_f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
m2.JPG

This is my Double reg. Shetland Buckeye WCF Classical Motion as a baby....

Magic said:
Chandab, your colt's pics are very different, I've never seen such a color change.  Cute boy!

Thank you. The middle picture, he is clipped (it's one of his sale photos). I did a little research on equinecolor.com and have determined that he is probably "wild bay". With "wild bay" the leg color only goes up to about the fetlock, which is where it stops on him.

This is "Bucky" when he was just a few days old this past May.

We suspect he has a delute gene buried in him as his dam's full brother is a grullo pinto. But Bucky was born looking like a classic bay.....and with two bay stallions, we have had our share of bay foals!

(Kathy, hope you don't mind my posting a photo of your little fellow!
biggrin.gif
)

MA

TizzyColtMay4.jpg

You can check mine out by checking out my foal page at

www.southernheartranch.com

Congrtats on the new baby!
aktion033.gif

Joyce

And this is a half sister to the above colt, Bucky. Same sire who happens to be BAY. The dam is a Silver Bay. We call the filly "Whisper". You can't see her tail, but she has the same black tail with the silver or white mixed in. She is losing it now and her tail is going totally black and the black points on her legs are now showing. Whisper was also only a few days old in this picture. She is 3 months old now.

MA

SlipperFilly1.jpg

Here is a picture of my weanling bay colt at a week old. He has the silvery legs and silver in his tail. His mane is coal black.

img172.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Joyce, LOVE the action pics of your colt Whakeeta and such a beautiful bay color.......everyone need to go to her foal page and see him.

Sarah, your bays are BEAUTIFUL...........

Thanks everyone for sharing pics............I learn soooo much from this forum.
worshippy.gif
cheekkiss.gif

Here are a couple of Bay foals.

Clear Brooks CK Creating Chaos

102528557.jpg

Clear Brooks CK Featured In Style "Twitch"

102608572.jpg

Twitch Clipped

106274948.jpg

This is my little black bay filly Snickerdoodle born the end of june. This is at about 3 weeks old.

You can see she is already shedding off the dark hair. I have had bay's before and the legs may not go black until clipped or shed out in their first year. Always a surprise to clip them in the spring.

Out of two black and white pintos, go figure!

Black Tie Affair x JJ Hotshot Kicking Kaboodle.

9f.jpg

Latest posts

Back