Can I have thoughts/advice on helping an abused horse to trust again?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intexas2stay

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

A few months ago I took in a skeleton senior welsh pony. I turned him around with a good diet and care. I have to say he is the best pony!

My farrier came across a client who has an 11 year old (looks to be large shetland by photos) gelding. From what I have been told, he was a pony ride attached to the things that they are tied to like you see at a fair. I can't think of the word, like a turn style? At some point a man who owned him let him starve and beat him. The woman who has him now had rescued him, fed him and is ready to pass him along to make an empty spot for another needy one. She just wants a good home for him, and I guess I fit the bill lol.

He is ok with kids and small petite people (me) but bigger people scare him. He is ok once haltered, but is skittish with larger humans.

I know horses never forget, but I would love advice on how to teach him to trust again. I have not decided on if I will take him. I am good with the hard keepers, but have never been approached about one who has his background. I am the onlyone here that takes care of the care and hands on with our horses, well my horses I should say ;)

Does anyone here have any stories of horses who overcame abuse? Any advice would be put to good use.

Nicole

It totally depends on the horse and the new handler, as anything. There is such a vast array of personalities.

I say give it a shot. If you're not the person for the horse, look for a good match.

Did he work the pony sweep before or after the abuse?

I guess you could try introducing him slowly to one adult at a time and have them speak softly, offer treats and a good itching session in his favorite place. Basically, baby him. I really don't know what else I'd do. I think I'd have to just wait and see what seems to work and go with it.

gentleness , consistency of handling and most of all time , I do hope youll take him on
default_smile.png

Disneyhorse, thank you for giving me the name of the ride! To answer your question, he did it before the abuse. Of course I do not have anything close to such a thing as a pony sweep so he would not be reminded of his "before" life. I was told it was the ride who let him starve, but it is not clear as to how/when/why this happened. Or for how long. I know his feet need to be trimmed and my farrier was just out there where he is. But my farrier is a big guy and He is in no way rough but but he is the one I trust to do my horses. I know of a lady farrier who has minis that would surely scare him less but she rarely gets up my way. I know it depends on how bad his feet are that will decide how to go.

Marty and Supa, I will be trying all I can to help him out as he is a kids sized pony, and if I was a parent looking for a pony for one of my kids I would not take one that a parent could not handle. He is cute as a button, and would make a nice lead line pony but if can not overcome his fears I doubt he would ever get that far.

I hate ignorant owners who think it is ok to take their issues in life out on an animal. If it was just a starvation case I would be fine taking him in. But abused ones, I have no experience with.

I just want to do the right thing for him, and not let my heart get in the way.

While I don't agree with every NH principle/method out there, I think some Clinton Anderson-style desensitization could really help this little guy. This in conjunction with Marty and Supaspot's suggestions of some gentle "babying" might help bring him around. Best of luck to you both
default_smile.png

While not a mini, my first horse, a half-Arab gelding had been mistreated by men before I got him (and starved him, he was about 300# under weight when I brought him home), he did not like men at all to the point on more than one occassion he bit my dad. He was gold for me after just a few short months (my instructor was a woman). He didn't like men for at least a couple years after I bought him, but then I had to board him out and the owner was the kindest man you've ever met, and he did all the feeding on the place, it didn't take too long for my gelding to come around and decide all men weren't bad. [i'm thinking some of it had to do with he do almost anything for food, so the guy who brought him plenty of food must be a good guy.] Not long after that, he decide other men were ok too.

So, it might work to have tall people help with his feeding. Perhaps not go in his stall or paddock with him, but dump his hay or grain over the fence to him, even if it means inviting a friend over to help now and then.

If he is basically healthy and has a good temperament, you might feel comfortable taking him on. The farrier issue is signficant, in my view. If he will not allow the man to trim his feet that is not good. Perhaps he could have a light sedation before hand. Do not wait until he gets worked up to administer it, though.

I like the idea of a man feeding him, if you can. Getting used to one that doesn't really intend to interact with him would be useful.

Another idea, is I believe some horses are abused because their temperaments are not understood. If this horse was unstable or intractable in some way, that may have caused the abuse. That is something to consider when rescuing. Don't assume that he is skittish because of the abuse--he may have been abused because of undesirable traits. It may be something hardwired in him and you cannot fix it.

Tough decision to rescue or not. Can you visit with him a little more and get a better idea? I like Linda Tellington Jones' TTouch book for getting some hints about personality. But there are other good personality books.

Thank you all for your input!!! I have been researching different methods and information and much of it has been positive on the outlook for the abused ones. That makes me feel so much better. I used to have Clinton Andersons vhs tapes but it was many non-horse years ago and I think I gave them away. I know enough to gain trust, but when it comes to correcting bad behavior, the last thing I want to do is do more harm. I always try to let my horses correct themselves but things like turning butt to me or the usual disrespectful acts do get quickly corrected. I know untill I meet him and learn more about him I do not know what he needs.

I did read many different times that focusing on a horses past will not help them move into the present and keeps them reminded thatthey were hurt once. It says treating him as any other horse once trust is established is a smart idea, and I agree with that.

Chandab, I love your advice and your heartwarming story. My husband is not a big guy and even though he is not a horse lover hes gentle and quiet and could do his feeding and treats. My son is a larger 11 year old but is still childish in voice and ways and he seems to have my soft spot for the needy ones. Maybe a good transition for the pony to see him grow from a child to a man.

I am sorry if I am rambling lol! Just tossing out thoughts as quick as I can before my daughter loses intrest in Dora and needs my attention.

I hope to have more info soon.

Does anyone know if I can download Clintons shows or do I need to buy the dvds? Downloads are easiest for me as we only have one tv and between the kids and hubby, poor mom is too tired after everyone is in bed to even push remote buttons;)

Thanks again everyone! I love the collective brains and advice I only find here.

Many times also, the HUMAN is so focused on " you poor abused rescue" that the animal remains skittish. Animals don't always recall the past, they live in the now far more readily than humans do.

I saw an obese chihuahua at the vet last week, wrapped up in a blanket and the lady told me " this poor dog was a rescue five years ago, it's last day and skin and bones..." And obviously she was over feeding the dog but a human is hard to let go of the past.

Sometimes we are so cautious and gentle that it doesn't do the animal any favors either. So it's hard to say the dynamics of the relationship until you try.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Disneyhorse, you explained it better than I did! I will keep learning all I can, and take it day by day. And please keep the advice and stories coming. I enjoy every bit
default_smile.png

Disneyhorse you hit the nail on the head. I remember someone telling me that if an abused horse is put out into a herd of horses, would those horses treat the abused horse any differently in a herd dynamic? No is the answer. You should be treating this horse just like any other horse when it comes to him doing naughty things or just being himself, a horse. All the baby talk in the world will not help this or any other abused horse, dog, cat or ect... Treating a horse like a horse, not as a human, will. Same with any other animal. Have you ever watched Cesar Milan "The Dog Whisperer"? The poor dogs he gets to rehabilitate are dogs that human treat like humans. The dogs are now aggressive, or overly submissive and fearful. They just don't communicate like us. Treat this horse with exercise, kindness, respect or discipline. He will become better over time.

Latest posts

Back