Can I drive in the showring with this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Rule

Reaction score
I just recently got a new harness...and next week I will be driving Bilbo in his first big AMHR show. I will have a pad, (you know, those fuzzy, velvet look things) under his saddle, and breastcollar. I am also thinking I will have a girth cover around the girth. It seems to bother him, and change the way he moves in the new harness...so I'm thinking that will help him. Will I be asked to remove them for a country pleasure class???
nono.gif

This new harness has the extra strap that buckles to the wrap straps that go around the shafts. It goes under his tummy, and it bothers him. I'm wondering if that strap rubs against the girth, and pinches him. Can I cover it? I'll look for a fuzzy girth cover that matches his other pads...

Kim R.

[SIZE=14pt]The pad on the saddle is ok I use them myself but the breast colar one I wouldn't . I have never seen one of those on a horse at a show. No girth cover either.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I have seen plenty of horses drive with a breast pad. Go right ahead and use it. The judges havent said anything yet. I think its an issue with the horse. If the breastcollar is rubbing, thats not cool, and it shouldnt be tolerated.

[SIZE=14pt]Kim , at the big AMHR rated shows they judges check everything durring the line up. They will say something to you about breast collar pads and girth covers.[/SIZE]

Lyn

bottom line is turn out is part of what you are judged on. I personally would NOT use a breast coverr or a girth cover maybe it would bet better to go to your old harness which fits better even if not quite as fancy then with the new one that needs the fuzzies

Hi, Kim,

I'm glad you have a week to see if Bilbo can become accustomed to the new harness. Have you tried using the new surcingle on him while walking him, grooming him, or lunging him? Those activities might help him relax about the different feel of the leather. Maybe take both harnesses and see how Bilbo is reacting at the show so you can use the one in which he'll do his best?

If you'd like to use some harness honey to soften the new leather, give me a call or email me. And I have a velvet show pad for the surcingle if you'd like to try it.

Hope to be in Blackfoot to cheer you on!

Pam

I have seen lots of horses use breastcollar pads and back pads

Must be a regional thing--no fuzzies in CA, IA/central states, and NEVER at Nationals! I have seen them at our shows once in a blue moon--it truely brands you as a "newbie". Sort of like showing in a nylon halter in halter classes--OK at 4H and the county fair, but not, IMHO, at an AMHR or AMHA breed show.

OK, that said--everyone has to start somewhere. We used a Fronteir EE cart the first 2 years because that was all I could afford, and we did hunter/jumper and obstacle in nylon halters (pretty ones with an overlay that were ONLY for shows). The most important thing is for him to be comfortable--a sore horse is a cranky horse! If he is driving well, most judges will see past what he is wearing.

Latest posts

Back