Can I breed Jasmine safely this year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay56649

Reaction score
Ok, so last year my paint mini, Jasmine had a little palomino filly named Josie (for those of you who helped me alot when she foaled). I started weaning her last summer/fall, but winter came so fast and I had to put them back together because we don't have any other little pastures with a water tank that has a heater and with all of the snow we get, its hard. So Josie will be a yearling next month and is still occasionally nursing. Could I safely breed Jasmine this spring? I would wean Josie, but could she handle it ok? (the picture is when josie was 9 days old)

Josie 8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kay, I don't think it would be a problem as long as you intend to wean Josie as soon as spring arrives. It is most likely just a comfort thing rather than actual food. Could we have a recent pic to see what condition she is in after milking all this time. oh and a grown up pic of Josie too
default_yes.gif
default_please.gif

Hi Kay, I don't think it would be a problem as long as you intend to wean Josie as soon as spring arrives. It is most likely just a comfort thing rather than actual food. Could we have a recent pic to see what condition she is in after milking all this time. oh and a grown up pic of Josie too
default_yes.gif
default_please.gif
Alright...yeah we are actually getting more snow right now, so we have about 3 1/2 ft on the ground. I will be weaning her as soon as it melts and we can get to our other areas and her water won't freeze. Josie isn't the prettiest horse right now, but I have a feeling when she sheds out she will get her dark points again like she used to have when she was younger. Yeah really the only time she nurses is when I put them back together after being seperated for a while (if I'm working with them or something). Josie has been a little unruly since I haven't worked with her much this winter, but she still knows her jobs. I just can't wait to give her a bath this spring, she is just a mess from laying down in the snow (and everything that is in the snow). Her sire was 30" and her dam is 35" and she is about 36" already!

Pics are coming soon!!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Yes I have to use my computer to put the pictures on so hopefully I will get it done tonight!!
default_smile.png
who remembers when jasmine foaled last spring? I'm Curious to know if anyone does:)

From your angle of concern, I can see no reason to proceed.

For others "listening"... you cannot breed a mare without the eelementof risk... and while I did not "learn" this the hard way, it hit home with our first planned foal... It can be a hard thing to swallow.

IF you are looking for a foal to KEEP......... you can buy it without the emotional cost.

Is this a test????
It is kind of a test but I am just curious to know who remembers!! We were trying to figure out if she waxed or not and it was my first foal so I didn't really know what I was looking for. She apparently was because she foaled that morning
default_yes.gif
that post was made the evening that my foal was born. I wouldn't just go buy another mini, but I liked the experience of my own horse having a foal. Plus I get to pick the background and it is a special experience. Sorry again for no pictures, I haven't been able to get on my computer! I wish there was a way to insert pictures from your mobile device because I have alot of pictures on my phone that I could post for you and it wouldn't take as long.

Yes I remember when you helped through the last couple of months and all of the advice you gave helped so much with the foaling and the supplies I needed!! Everyone who gave advice is greatly appreciated because I would not have known half of what to do without ya!!

Can I post a pic of the stud I want to breed her to without permission of the owner of the stud? He is for sale and for stud, but I don't want to post a picture of him if it isn't ok.

No pics without permission please but it is ok to tell us his name, we can look him up.
default_yes.gif

Yep, we sure will. That is what we are here for. Oh also to entertain
default_xkngt.gif
lol

Ha ha thanks eagle and Diane!! Yeah i figured it wouldn't be right to post a pic, but he is for sale and is eligible to be registered, but the owner never sent the papers in, sooooo that probably doesn't help much. ha ha! I hope I can breed Jasmine, I just have to talk with my family about it and see if we can for sure. Thank you so much!! I want to breed her even though she is not registered, just because we just want them as a pet and maybe to show in 4-H and Jasmine is just such a good momma and produces adorable foals
default_yes.gif
default_new_multi.gif
I will get pics up for you tonight

Thank you Jill for your opinion.

She has a filly she kept from last year so she is not looking to buy.

We all know there is risk involved with breeding, but I don't think this was the concern rather the timing. We have many very experienced breeders here, and we understand the risks. But it is each person's choice about breeding, and we support those that choose to breed and are just looking for answers to some of their questions.

This forum is maintained "attitude free" and we wish all answers to be helpful and supportive of the free choices of its members. Disparaging comments will be removed.
Please do understand, lots and lots of people read the threads on LB and apply the advice given to their own situations. That happens a lot, and not just now but years from now when people are looking for insight. I was giving some advice that could be valuable to those exploring their options. Know that I wish all our members the best of luck, but also hope to help with information and experience that can be useful to our community.

Jill there are plenty of forums out there for opinionated people but that is not what we are about. I understand what you were trying to say but it came over as opinionated and rude. We are simply here to help, our goal is to keep the mares and their foals safe. People with no experience come here for help because we do NOT judge. We do NOT want to frighten newbies off with unpleasant opinions as this could lead to lost lives. Nobody has the right to decide who should and who shouldn't breed. Times are hard for everyone and the less foals produced the better as it is hard to find good homes but if someone wants to breed for a pet to keep that is their choice. Many of us here are very good friends now thanks to this wonderful site, some are VERY experienced others less but all the same everyone is welcomed as a friend.

I am very sorry but I felt the need to explain
default_sad.png

Yes, I would have no intentions of breeding and selling, but I would love to have another foal from my mare. I love the foal she had last year and I love her disposition...plus I loved the experience of having a foal born at my place! I was just looking for advice on if I should breed or not and thank you eagle for your explanation!! I just have to convince my mom to let me breed her again! She thinks it would be hard on her to breed her this year and that is why I started this topic, to see what the experts think on me breeding her this year!
default_yes.gif

I also felt the need to explain, Eagle. As far as I was aware, the entire forum is about sharing exprience and growing. We all have opinions, and they are shared on every single thread. Here, there, and everywhere.

When Kay has her new foal, I look forward to hearing all about it and I know it will have a great home with a very caring owner
default_yes.gif

I really hope we can breed her and everything goes as I would like. Jazz has had 2 foals so far and she is 6 this spring. Both have had uneventful births and have gone just perfect! I will for sure have a thread for her if we breed her!

I don't see what's wrong with what Jill has said or even how she has said it, look at my thread where I'm having to give up breeding. Part of that cause is that the number of people breeding "once just for a pet" has massivly increased so the market for my pet quality foals (which every breeder has) has shrunk. I think being a responsible breeder goes beyond our own paddocks and looking at the bigger picture.

We can only have about one more mini anyway with the space we have, since most of our pastures go to our average sized horses. We have two miniature donkeys we might sell in the future but I am posting pictures in the next 5 minutes so check back!!

Back to the original question: Of course your vet should be your major source for a question about breeding, but I don't see why the answer would be any different than if you were asking about re-breeding your mare right after she foaled, which many/most breeders do. I would estimate that most mares are re-bred and start carrying the next foal when they are nursing, and I doubt this yearling is nursing as much as a younger foal. So I don't see a reason not to re-breed her, just based on the fact her last foal is not fully weaned yet.

Back