Can goats have copper?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I found this on www.goatrescue.org and I thought I would share it. It seems to clear up the whole "goats can't have copper issue". Just thought some of you might find it interesting.

Nutrition -

Goats are a lot like deer in their eating habits. They can live on a steady diet of good alfalfa, but that is probably a little too rich. They will be healthier and happier on a varied diet that includes of shrubs, leaves, tree bark, etc. We feed our goats mostly local grass hay. Even if there is plenty of brush, they will still need a little alfalfa or oat hay as a supplement, particularly in the winter.

They need a salt/mineral block too. There are mineral blocks made especially for goats. These contain copper -- which goats need, but which is harmful to sheep. It is best to provide the salt and minerals in granular form, as this encourages them to take as much as they want.

They need a source of fresh water at all times. Chopped apples, carrots and a handful of grain makes a great goat treat. A few plants are poisonous to goats. If you are not sure, don't feed it to the goats. Be especially careful about trimmings you get from neighbors because you might not know what is in them.

how funny! I just was at the same site yesterday! Your post about mini cows made me curious and I looked them up. Surfed around and found this site, and about the mini sheep

Small world!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back