Can brown horses have dorsal stripes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rabbitsfizz said:
The ear hair is a Dun thing
smile.gif

432942[/snapback]

Sooo this wouold make my stallion a dun course he has white ear hairs??
rolleyes.gif

P1070028.jpg

No- you do need a little more!!
smile.gif
If the horse has enough else going , ie dorsal, colour etc, AND has the cream inside the ears with the dark edging to the ear, THEN it becomes a deciding factor
laugh.gif
For instance , if we were trying to decide if your stallion was a black or a very dark Black Dun (Grullo) then the presence of an identifiable Dorsal, darker legs and head than the rest of the body AND his funny but pretty ear colouring, might be a deciding factor. See the medications wearing off, I'm a bit more with it now
biggrin.gif

Ahhh, so I see his coloring is as quirky as his personality.. = ) I sure do love this lil guy tho..

I've read up a little on dun since my boy is one. They wont ALWAYS display EVERY charachteristic. I know my guy is because his dam is a dun and there is no mistaking his dorsal stripe as countershading. His legs are darker than his body but he does not display the leg baring or the real bright red tipped ears. Not sure if that is from clipping him or that he just does not have them, but even being clipped the contrast between his dorsal stripe and his regular body color is great. So your little guy could be a grullo/grulla. But the only "for sure" way you will know is to have him tested of course.
yes.gif

Christine I have had an awful lot of true Duns in my time. Not ONE of them has ever had leg barring , cobwebbing etc. Yet, whenever I have stated this I get jumped on by people who are apparently determined that my horses cannot be Dun if they do not have ALL the characteristics, so THANKYOU from the bottom of my, and Rabbit's and Mouse, and Precious and her daughter Itty Bitty and her other daughter Pippi, and Blue and her daughter Tally and her other daughter Charm, and her other daughter Boo, and Clary and her son Image and her daughter Princess and her son Teddy's hearts!!!!

Latest posts

Back