Can a yearling reproduce if he's not dropped yet?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don"t think he can.... & ever if he could i really don't think it would be good for him! please waite unyill he is at lease 3, you could be making your self a very studish young horse if your not careful!

if i am really wrong, croect me,but still it can't be good for him, can it?

[SIZE=14pt]Yes it is possible for him to reproduce. dont leave him with any mares or fillies that you dont want bred![/SIZE]

Lyn

Definitely yes, happens pretty regularly with colts who are left out with mom too long or put in with mares when someone assumes they are too young.

Jan

It definately is a possibility. jennifer
saludando.gif

so it possibal, but for a breeding farm, is it safe or a good idea to breed them at such a age??

A clinic i went to they had breeding & they said it really not good or healty for mini 2 breed befor 3 or4!!!

ever if there is a chance that this can be harmful, why would you risk it?

[SIZE=14pt]It IS POSSIBLE but not DESIREABLE.[/SIZE]

Lyn

yes I have a mare that pasture bred with a 10 month old colt.
ohmy.gif

In my opinion, more important than the age is the fact that he has not dropped yet. You do not want to pass on that characteristic. I would not hesitate to use a 2-year-old on a limited basis AS LONG AS HE IS FULLY DROPPED.

I'd have to go with yes it's possible. A mare I know of is just about to give birth to her foal that was sired by an 8/9month old colt.

A Yearling that is truly not dropped cannot reproduce as the sperm has to be below body temperature ie in descended testicles, to be fertile. HOWEVER I would not lay money on a colt remaining un-dropped if he had the chance to breed!!! I would personally be worried about a truly undescended animal of this age- we are too accepting of this fault in Minis IMO, and are causing the problem to become worse by tolerating it. As I have said many times, all my colts are fully descended at birth. Desiree- it is fine to breed from a two year old colt, no fertility problems no mental problems, I have always done it and I've been breeding all my life (and I'm OLD!!
smile.gif
) But I only cover with a two year old in hand, if he is going to be a herd sire (and mine aren't) he has to wait until he's three.

REALLY?

All of these colts and fillies were being sired by yearlings (or younger) that had NEITHER testical outside of its body cavity? EVER? I mean if this is not only possible, but apparently from the comments so far, prevalent..and saying this in jest only..why in the world would you need/want a stallion that had "two" hanging, when the work could be accomplished with an animal that was so "neat" and "tidy" and amazingly fertile?!? It is news to me that stallions with no visible testicals, at any time, can settle mares. I've known of several top knotch sires in other breeds that had only one (and mare owners continue to flock to them as many consider the fault not highly inheritable, and the stallions in question were amazing performers and now sires), but know of no such animals that had none.

I have never known of an animal with undescended testicles siring a foal. I have known of a colt descending BOTH testicles over night!!
smile.gif

The thing is with a colt that young, they are so small that you may not see them or feel them if you dont know what you are feeling for.

Ashley that's a very good point- I'm sure a lot of new people would try to discern by looking!! Me, I'm not sticking my head up there for ANYONE
laugh.gif

Well I know i have tried checking in the past(to see if they could be gelded yet or not). Alot of times I could find one, but not the other. THen we would have the vet check. Sure enough they have both been there. And this was just checking by feel. I sure wouldnt have seen it.

OK let me clarify this, I do not want to breed these colts. I have two colts, one is a coming yearling on the 31st (palomino), his half brother(red roan) is two weeks younger than him. The Palomino is fully dropped, but his brother isn't. They we're in with their mothers, only because we don't have an extra pasture, but we now have them seperated, and I pray that the mares aren't pregnant again. We bought the mares, who lived in town in a gravel lot with a two yr old stud. Though I really enjoyed all the mare stare and raising a foal, I would rather leave the mini breeding to the people that are going to better the breed. thank you for all of your replies.

From your description, it is possible that the palomino could have bred one or both mares. If the second colt has just one dropped testicle, he could still impregnate. If both of his testicles are not dropped, it is extremely unlikely for just the reason Rabbitsfizz stated. The sperm needs to be kept at a certain temperature range and if the testicles are tucked up it would be too warm for the sperm to survive. (This is why human couples who are trying to have children are told that it's not good for the man to wear tight underwear.
yes.gif
)

MA

I believe I have a mare now bred to a yearling colt. My yearling last year got out and ran with all the mares for a couple of hours. This mare is due NOW, and he was with them August 15 last year. No other stallions were bred to any mares during this same period of time last year.

Nope, I did not make a stallion report on him as I knew he was too young. Yeah right! We will DNA/PQ when baby comes of course and file stallion report.

Ahh the fun of this, but she is one of my best champion producing mares.......so cannot wait to see what they produce! The colt is NICE TOO a silver white frame/sabino colt by Mime.

Latest posts

Back