Can a stallion be happy with a gelding??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimayhem

Reaction score
Was just wondering if a stallion can live a happy life with a gelding when there are NO mares around??? If you ask why don't I just geld him, because I just don't have the funds at this time.

Thanks.

I have a gelding that is a pasture buddy with my stallion in the winter. Now my stallion is the most laid-back one I've ever seen. He is truly a rare one but they are best buds!

They can live happily WITH mares around.

My 6 year old stallion lives with 2 geldings. One of the geldings was even a stallion for quite some time and still acts stallion-ey on occasion.

I take the stallion elsewhere to hand breed him and then return him to his dry lot and his buddies.
yes.gif

It all depends on the stallion though. My other stallion doesn't get alond with anyone, not even mares.

There you have your answer, yes they can get along, no they can`t get along. It can go either way. They might get along fine for three months then not. I had two stallions here then got two more. All four got along together. I gelded two of them and they continued to be pals. Gelded the last two just to eliminate any potential problems. For me it was not worth the potential for problems in the future.

Back