Can a horse have worms on their skin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
I was giving Patty a bath today. I thought she had dandruff in her mane. She had some bumps on her neck and I scraped them. I was scraping the white scabs. As I was scraping I picked some off and they got l ong and skinny. Not real long, but it did not stay looking like a scab or dandruff. She has been scratching really bad. She did not have any lice or bugs. Is this fly eggs hatching? What do I do? My husband said to mix up lemon juice and salt and rub on her. Sorry I did not get pics.

She did have dandruff in her mane but the white things I found were under her mane on her neck

While I've not seen them, look up neck thread worms, I believe ivermectin is the treatment for them, if that is the case. [i don't know if they come to the surface or not.]

Sounds like it could be thread worms, let us know what you find out
default_smile.png

Well I went to tractor supply. I have a friend who works there that has horses. She said that she had that happen to her. It is from the embedded dirt on their skin. She called the vet when it happened. I just got them some wormer and some stuff to wipe them down with. Patty does not like to get in the rain. Wishbone and Peanut do. I did not see any on them but treated them any way. I have to give Annabelle a bath tomorrow. My back was give out from three. Although Annabelle stayed up in the midst of it all. Trying to suckle me. Bit me four times. It is safe for her too. I will have to look and see what it was. It treats lots of things though. All the horses did good with their baths. This is really the first time I am bathing them. I tried last year and they acted like idiots. This was Patty's 2nd bath. She loved it. Since they will take baths now, I hope to get rid of it quick. It said that you did not have to bathe them first. Patty felt better. I did not notice her scratching near as bad. Of course Peanut and Wishbone rolled in the dirt as soon as they were able. I will keep you all updated.

Back