Can a 6 month old colt successfully breed a mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wanting to get your advice.

My mare had a colt beginning of August last year. He stayed with her till he was 6 months old only due to me being away just before hand and I wanted to be there for weaning. I saw him mounting her everything out, just before I weaned him, I'm not sure if this is the first time but I know it's the dates that she is usually in heat.

Anyway that was January... Come October now she has quite a fat belly... We are coming into spring..., quite an edeema in front of her udder and I think.... Think... I might have felt movement from her tummy first just fluttering a a few days ago and today possible actual movement (I'm second guessing myself haha!)

My question is, have any of you known a 6 month old colt get a mare pregnant?

Please no judging for this. I was told he would be right to run with her till 7 months.

Now I'm not so sure.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Cassie
default_smile.png

Never discount the over achiever. I can't speak for Minis, but I do know of other breeds of animals who have fooled their owners.by maturing earlier than expected. One that stands out, was a goat breeder friend of mine who was amazed to find 4 of 10 doe kids in a pen of 6month olds, pregnant. The only buck on the place was a 2 month old she thought would be too young to do anything. At least he proved he was capable of being her new herd sire. Another was a Jersey bull, and also one very horny puppy who got lucky before he was neutered. I'd have the mare checked for your own peace of mind, because there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Thanks everyone for your reply

Here are some pics for you of her.

The comparison of her tummy is from August and today and the udder is from September and today

If she was in foal the latest she could be is 255 days..

.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's actually not a bad idea to wait to wean at 6 months....We often do it....Mostly for their mental well being. By that time mom is much more ready and foal is much more independent.

From the pictures, she looks like she has a pretty well covered body all over, not just belly. I would be more inclined to think shes just very overweight. There is some filling in the udder but it could be hormones/fat too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back