Calming Supplements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMolly

Reaction score
I have two horses that are very skittish. Trimming hooves seems to be traumatic for them. Has anyone tried any herbal calming treatments? I work with them and can lift their feet, but the whole trimming thing is just so stressful for them. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have used a calming herb, I can't remember the name, it is the one out of Horse Health magazine for calming. It helped after he had been on it for a while, but for just an overall more calm attitude. For something that you are talking about, like a stressful situation I do not seeing it helping that much.

THe best thing for trimming hooves is to have the file and hoof pick out in the barn and everyday for just a couple of minutes pick each of their feet up and pick them, then come back and run the file very lightly across the very bottom. Not enough to take hoof off, just enough that they get comfortable over time having it done. Alot of repitition is the only cure. At least my small opinion.
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for the reply. I will try picking their feet out more often, and doing the filing thing too. I think my biggest problem is that I hate seeing them stressed out! I am sure they know that and like a kid, they can use it to get what they want!
default_rolleyes.gif
I can be strong with the kids, need to work on being strong with my pets!

When im body clipping and they are being big brats, i normally give them a shot of Dormosedan (I call it Dormo-Satan
default_risa_suelos.gif
), but ive luckly only had to use that on one taller shetland filly. For the most part, i can push the minis around just enough to get them done, but its different when your clipping a shetland filly that can outmuscle you easily.

But, for trimming hooves i dont think you would need any real sedditives. Im not a big believer in "natual herbal" suppliments. Handle her feet normally ext like said above. But she may still get nervous when the farrier is a stranger and comes around with all the tools ext so maybe throw on a twitch?

Leeana, Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about using a twitch, I even went and bought the plastic clamps like Jill said she uses. How exactly do you use it? I have never had to do it before.

Back