Calling all Colors...Calling all Colors!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamweaver

Reaction score
I am helping someone with a very BIG project and I wanted to ask for a little help. Miniature horses are in my opinion the most “colorful” horses of all the breeds I know of. What other breed allows not only a huge variety of solid colored horses, but any type of pinto and appaloosa there is, PLUS pintaloosa on top of that. That said, I am needing to put together a list of every miniature color out there. From Black to white and everything in between. So, I thought you all might be able to help me with that list?

Let’s start with what the AMHR list for registration.

Bay

Brown

Buckskin

Chestnut

Golden Dun

Cremello

Dun

Grey

Grullo

Palomino

Red Dun

Roan

Sorrel

White

And I will add….

Black

Seal Bay

Blood bay

Blue Roan

Bay Roan

Silver Dapple

Silver Bay

Now, I know that some of this are variations of the main color, but I want to list all the variations as well.

I will be able to let you all know what the project is very soon! I think you are going to love it! Thanks for the help!

Dana

overo, tovero, champagne, amber champagne, classic champagne, splash overo, splash tovero, leopard app, snowflake app, varnish app, pearl, maximum overo, sabino, tobiano, blanket app, silver dun, silver buckskin, smutty palomino, smutty buckskin, perlino, perlino dun

oh gosh i dont want to go on forever.

i paint model horses so im a horse color freak!

www.freewebs.com/silverbrumbystudios/

Leopard appy

varnish appy

blanket app

perlino

smokey cream

champagn

red chesnut, flaxen chesnut, grey, dapples grey, fleabitten grey, choclate palomino, then u also have weird markings like birdcatcher spots, lacing, brindles, dark patches. i once saw a paint that instead of having white markings his were black and the other color was chesnut really weird horse it was an icelandic

yes minis come in every color.....visit http://www.equinecolor.com/ that will help. all the colors are listed.

good luck with your colorful project! I did a presentation on horse colors last year, if you need any help let me know. have fun! :bgrin

Are you wanting just "colors".....or colors AND "patterns"?

As mentioned, white is not a color...it is a maximum expression of a "pattern".

These are all "patterns"....not "colors".
default_wink.png
:

Tobiano

Splash Overo

Sabino

Frame Overo

Appaloosa

Pintaloosa

Gray

White

I didn't see "red roan" mentioned by anyone yet. It's sometimes also called "strawberry roan". I have a mare that color and it's quite striking. I love all the many colors that horses come in.
default_wub.png
:

Looking forward to hearing about your project! :aktion033:

I think that some people get overwhelmed and think they will never understand horse colors because they see so many different ‘colors’. They don’t realize that many of the ‘colors’ listed are not distinct genetic colors, but subjective attempts to describe the various ‘shades’ of the ‘basic’ colors.

It really isn't hard if you break it down to basics. A horse can only be black or red based. Those are the only two true ‘base’ colors. From these two ‘base’ colors you get all the other colors, based on which dilutions and modifiers the horse carries.

There are four recognized dilutions: cream, dun, silver, and champagne.

Agouti is a modifier that restricts the location of the black pigment to the points of the horse. On a black horse, agouti is what makes it a ‘bay’. Although ‘bay’ is not a true ‘base’ color, as it is caused by the ‘agouti’ modifier, ‘bay’ is such a common color that many people think of horses having three ‘basic’ colors, black, red, and bay.

As well as the dilution genes and agouti, there are several other genes that affect the base colors, such as smutty/sooty and panagre. Then there are all the ‘white’ pattern genes, and of course ‘roan’ and ‘gray’.

Some, or all, of these dilutions, modifiers, and white genes can be present in a horse, so can create a HUGE number of genetically distinct colors/patterns. If you then add all the ‘subjective’ color terms used to describe a ‘shade’ of a particular genetic color (such as ‘isabella palomino’, ‘blood bay’, or ‘chocolate silver’) then you add a huge number of additional ‘colors’.

Also, there is disagreement on what certain terms mean, for example, some people have different views of what a 'bucksin' is. Sometimes two different terms are used for the same color, or people have a different interpretation of the term based on their location; Chestnut and Sorrel are examples of this. Some people view these terms as different, some view them as interchangeable, and some people never use the term Sorrel and only use Chestnut for all red horses.

There are so many possible combinations of color, modifiers, and dilutions, etc. that there are not even names for many of them. At best, a person would just have to list the genetic ingredients to describe the horse, if they actually knew the genetic ‘recipe’. Then there are horses who ‘hide’ certain genes, such as a red horse hiding agouti and silver, if you just describe the what you see, the horse is ‘only’ red. However, if you knew the actual genetics, you would list the agouti and silver as well as the red.

Is there a mathematician on our Forum? If so, how many possible color combinations would there be if there are 2 Base Colors, each with up to 14 different color variables?

Black or Red (all horse must be one or the other)

Variables: Agouti, Cream, Champagne, Silver, Dun, Roan, Tobiano, Splash, Frame, Rabicano, Sabino, Gray, Panagre, and Smutty/Sooty (there may be even more variables, but these were all I could think of)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back