Calling all color experts!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I was reading another post and they were refering to Roan and I have a Q.

I have a true red roan stallion. My mares are palomino, dapple grey, I guess, neither parent was grey? Her parents were palomino and smokey black. and my other mare is an appy creme buckskin.

Any chances of getting Buckskin with this??

My stallion is a Buckeroo grandson so he has Buckskin in his genes or does he??

I know NOTHING ABOUT COLOR!!

But I would love for any info anyone might have!

I know from reading the posts some of you are very up on this!
biggrin.gif

I dont know if red roans are on a red base but I am assuming they are since they are ''red'' but if your breed a red horse to a palomino you can ONLY get palomino or sorrel/chesnut or red roan in this case! If you bred him to a buckskin you could have a buckskin or a palomino or a smokey black or a sorrel/chesnut or a red roan or a bay!! I think there might be more so someone else can probably name them but from what I understand those are the only things you can produce!!

I am not 100% sure on this so if i am wrong someone correct me!!

-Gage-

capall beag said:
I was reading another post and they were refering to Roan and I have a Q.I have a true red roan stallion. My mares are palomino, dapple grey, I guess, neither parent was grey? Her parents were palomino and smokey black. and my other mare is an appy creme buckskin.
Do you have pictures??

So three mares - palomino...

Appy creme buckskin.... as in buckskin appaloosa?? Or cremello appaloosa?? Don't mind me - I'm confused!!
laugh.gif

Dapple grey - without a grey parent? <<< This one may be silver dapple...

The Silver mare could also be carrying Cream, so let's REALLY confuse you
smile.gif
What base is the "red" Roan???

OK!! Let's see if I can give you more info.

Stallion is out of a palomino and a true Blue roan.

The stallion has very dark legs from the knee down, look reddish brown, I guess that is normal right for roan??

Anyway!

One mare is palomino, out of palomino mare and smoket black sire.

Yes she is silver dapple you are right, sorry, she is out the same as my palomino.

My creme buckskin has mottling throughout, she is out of a traditional buckskin mare and a sorrel and white pinto, she gets the app characteristics from her grandsire a Pintaloosa, I guess a lot of his grandkids have these app traits!

I hope this helps,

I will try and get a good pic tonight and post!!

I am just very curious on the affect of the roan gene!

Thansk for your assistance with this!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

The ONLY effect of the Roan gene would be a 50/50 chance to add roan to whatever color the foal was. If he is a Red Roan, he is Red based (homozygous Red). Red can hide Silver and Agouti (Bay), but not Cream or Black.

So, If your stallion has a hidden Agouti gene, you COULD get a buckskin from the Palomino mare, you COULD get a Silver Bay from the Silver mare, you COULD get a Palomino of course from the Palomino mare and even from the Silver mare IF she has a hidden Cream gene and a recessive Red gene.

I don't even attempt to understand Appy colors.

Songcatcher said:
The ONLY effect of the Roan gene would be a 50/50 chance to add roan to whatever color the foal was.  If he is a Red Roan, he is Red based (homozygous Red).  Red can hide Silver and Agouti (Bay), but not Cream or Black.
So, If your stallion has a hidden Agouti gene, you COULD get a buckskin from the Palomino mare, you COULD get a Silver Bay from the Silver mare, you COULD get a Palomino of course from the Palomino mare and even from the Silver mare IF she has a hidden Cream gene and a recessive Red gene.

422134[/snapback]

the red raon and palomino can not have a buckskin! They could have a palomino with the agouti gene but all buckskins are on a black base with the agouti and the cream gene!! Both the palomino and the redroan would not be able to produce a black cause they have no black to pass on therefor there could be no buckskin with them!

Appy is just as simple as paint! They are just patterns and work just like paints all though they have dots insted of patches! If is a 50/50 chance to have a appy with a non appy parent plus a appy parent! a appy parent + appy parent ( am guessing so someone can correct me and I wont be offended) is 25% no appy 25% homozygous appy (Snowcap or fewspot) and 50% heterozygous appy!

-Gage-

Last edited by a moderator:
Songcatcher and Gage Thank you for the replies!

Boy this color thing is confusing! Of course, I should just be patient and see what they produce!!

However, a friend told me that a roan stallion would dominant and wash out all the colors of my mares?? So I thought I would only get roans and was a bit disappointed because although I love a true flashy roan I don't like what I call a "kind of roan"
laugh.gif
what I mean is for example a bay with some white hairs throughout.

Anyway, by what you have both said it does not sound like roan does that?

I am just hoping for a bit of variety in the color produced BUT I love my stallion and want him to stick around!!

Thanks!!

You have both demystified the color gene a bit for me!!
biggrin.gif

Gage said:
Songcatcher said:
The ONLY effect of the Roan gene would be a 50/50 chance to add roan to whatever color the foal was.  If he is a Red Roan, he is Red based (homozygous Red).  Red can hide Silver and Agouti (Bay), but not Cream or Black.

422134[/snapback]

the red raon and palomino can not have a buckskin! They could have a palomino with the agouti gene but all buckskins are on a black base with the agouti and the cream gene!! Both the palomino and the redroan would not be able to produce a black cause they have no black to pass on therefor there could be no buckskin with them!

Appy is just as simple as paint! They are just patterns and work just like paints all though they have dots insted of patches! If is a 50/50 chance to have a appy with a non appy parent plus a appy parent! a appy parent + appy parent ( am guessing so someone can correct me and I wont be offended) is 25% no appy 25% homozygous appy (Snowcap or fewspot) and 50% heterozygous appy!

-Gage-

422140[/snapback]

OOPS ! ! ! You are absolutely right. Red Roan and Palomino can NOT produce buckskin. What was I thinking ? ? ? You COULD get Buckskin from the Silver mare IF the stallion has a hidden Agouti, IF the mare has hidden Cream, and IF the foal does not inherit the Silver gene. Or, it could be a Silver Buckskin if it does inherit the silver gene.

Thanks for the correction. I really do know better.

Songcatcher said:
Gage said:
Songcatcher said:

422134[/snapback]

-Gage-

422140[/snapback]

OOPS ! ! ! You are absolutely right. Red Roan and Palomino can NOT produce buckskin. What was I thinking ? ? ? You COULD get Buckskin from the Silver mare IF the stallion has a hidden Agouti, IF the mare has hidden Cream, and IF the foal does not inherit the Silver gene. Or, it could be a Silver Buckskin if it does inherit the silver gene.

Thanks for the correction. I really do know better.

422189[/snapback]

I figured you did just sometimes we have a little brain freeze!! yes they could get a buckskin out of the silver if in fact she did have the cream gene!!

Black will donimate red, and I think you have a 50/50 that it will be roan!

-Gage-

Latest posts

Back