Calcium and PH strips

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slv

Reaction score
I have a mare that is setting on go for foaling. ALL signs are there as well as she is just uncomfortable. Today I used a calcium strip and all four squares turned purple immediately. I decided to go ahead and do a PH and she was only a 7.0 on the PH. I know the PH is usually a little lower than 7.0 right before they foal, but I do know that when the four squares turn that fast it is usually very close. This is my favorite mare and my most anticipated foal. I am just kind of stuck at home right now watching because I am afraid to leave her.

Just wondering if any of you use either of these and which do you prefer. Wondering if the calcium level changes before the PH.

This mare is due now and has had other foals. She has a FULL bag and her milk is yellow in color and somewhat sticky, but not as sticky as I have seen.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've not had much success with the calcium only test strips, I have one mare who will test the full squares (4-5 depending on which brand) changing in seconds for over a week before foaling, and she does it every time!
default_wacko.png
So now I use only the PH strips and they have been 100% accurate for me, with all mares foaling within approx. 24 hrs after the PH dropped to 6.4.

Good luck!!

I agree with Kim. We've noticed that the PH strips are little more sensitive than the calcium test.

What we've been doing is -- when the calcium changes (goes up), we do a second PH test a 6 to 12 hours later and tend to find it's dropped significantly. That indicates the mare will foal within 24 hours (usually less.).

Thanks so much. That is what I am experiencing. I will rely a little more on the PH.

I've not had much success with the calcium only test strips, I have one mare who will test the full squares (4-5 depending on which brand) changing in seconds for over a week before foaling, and she does it every time!
default_wacko.png
So now I use only the PH strips and they have been 100% accurate for me, with all mares foaling within approx. 24 hrs after the PH dropped to 6.4.

Good luck!!
I have had this same experience and with more then one mare. I do find as well that the pH must be read the second it comes out of the fluid as the longer it sits it seems to appear a lighter color. 6.4 has been the magic number for me as well!

Latest posts

Back