Cable Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eohippus

Reaction score
This summer I added two new horses to my group; a great mare with extensive driving and showing background and a wonderful stallion with a solid start in driving and a good show history (mainly halter). When showing my geldings, small stallion, and mare in halter I use the arabian style cable halters with the thicker nose bands. They really flatter almost any horse well. My newest boy looks alright in this style of halter but with his head shape I really want to show in the "next to nothing" style of the arabian Padron Classic bitted halter. I've never seen a mini wear this type of halter in the showring, however, so I was unsure if it was allowed or frowned upon. I've been looking in the rules to see if there is anything against it but so far I haven't found anything. I've included a picture of the style of halter. I know it can be a rather big, bold, and possibly brash statement to make using this type of halter because it does rely so much on the shape of the head, however, I just want to double check to make sure it would be AMHA and AMHR legal without being penalized by the judges for it. I've used this style with arabians before and I am familiar with how to use it correctly.

73%20halterpadron.jpg

That light type of cable is fine but not the bit. It would need a noseband. There are mini halters like that. They used to be "in style" and can still be found
default_smile.png

There is a style of halter for Minis with a very thin cable across the nose area.It is much finer halter than the current in style ones.Just recently sold a bunch of them in a lot.they are out there if you look.Company that made them years ago made Arabian show halters and was somewhere in the northwest.Not sure if they are still in business.If you post your wants on saleboard I am sure you will find something.They came in a variety of colors.I had grey and black and bronze-some with conchos and some with ferrules.

AMHR rules do state that stallions may be bitted, so I would think the pictured bridle would be acceptable?

Does it state anywhere that a noseband must be used? I've seen the thin cable nose bands and getting one isn't an issue, but I'm trying to avoid any noseband if possible

AMHR rules for halter state any type of halter is permitted, and bitting of stallions is permitted, but no stallion tack allowed (surcingle and crupper). Now by any halter, do they mean ones with bits, or do they mean cable or western style? The rules are so vague as to be confusing. I do know traditionally, only stallions are bitted.

In the USA, that's not what people would use for showing their horses. I think it's pretty, but even if the rule books (AMHA / AMHR) say it's okay to use that kind of a halter, no one else will be. Most minis look nice with a "cable" kind of side and a patent noseband. The Victor halters are my favorite, but there are a lot of ones that resemble that "classic" look, and will probably not go out of style.

My first show halters, imo, were so pretty! They were beaded and expensive. Not the cheap kind and I thought they looked great. They had a strip of patent leather on the nose and jewel beads over the nose band. No matter how pretty I thought (and still think!) they are, at the show's, it's not my opinion that matters. If you're going to a show, you are going after the judges' opinions.

My advise is to go with a classic halter with a patent noseband. Some horses look better in one with a flared noseband, others in a straight, but that's something you could figure out as time goes on. With a classic "Victor" style halter, you just can't really go wrong, and it's something that will not go out of style.

Good luck, and have fun!

Reactions: REO
National bridle shop sells cable miniature horse halters with Arabian style beaded nosebands with rolled patent leather instead of the popular wide patent caveson (that resembles a saddleseat bridle). I believe that only stallions may be bitted in halter as "halter" is just that and a bit is technically a bridle. You can find hand crafted mini show halters on ebay too that are very delicate in nature. I believe that a harness maker could custom make a halter with a tiny thin noseband for you, maybe out of jewelers wire or a jewelry rope chain?

I agree with what Jill said
default_smile.png

Plus, a nose band visually shortens the face and it flattering!
default_smile.png

I'm going to be the devils advocate. If its legal, and you like it, rock it!

Different people look good in different clothing. Same with horses. My guy looks stupid in anything arab-y. But he totally pulls off a qh style halter with silver! Any truly good judge pins on more than "I like the halter." If your horse looks good in it, I say go for it!

My best advice--call the chief steward of AMHR and ask if the bridle you want to use is legal--then you will know. (not sure who to ask for AMHA). If it is legal and you prefer that, then go with what you prefer.

Reactions: REO
Hmm ok. I do think some missed the fact the patent leather or thick nose bands do not flatter his face and I play to my horse over the judges. He does not need his face shortened and I have a custom tack maker so acquiring any style I choose is not an issue. I will call the associations for true clarification though I appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Back