Cabin Fever

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
OMG, we've been iced in since Monday. Somehow, just knowing I can't leave has made me itchy to go someplace. We go out only when necessary as it has become really slippery. First we had snow, then sleet, then rain, and then it all froze. So we have a layer of ice on top of a layer of snow. When you walk out there, you punch thru (if you're lucky...if not, you slide around).

But I am looking at the bright side. I've watched a ton of TV (not a good thing sometimes) and not only basted the quilt I'm working on for my granddaughter, but have actually gotten a lot of the quilting done. Since I quilt by hand, it takes forever. But it's not like I have anything else to do. I mean, I could clean house, but where's the fun in THAT? ahem

So yesterday I decided since it was only snowing lightly I could let the horses out of the dry lot. I slid down the hill and opened the gate for them so they could go out into the pasture if they wanted. Typically they crowd the gate and I can barely avoid being knocked over by them in their rush for the grass. Yesterday, no takers. They preferred to stay in their nice warm run in and stuff their faces with hay. That was a first.

I'm tired of cold, of dreary clouds, of ice and yuck. I want to leave my house!!! I want to go to town. Of course that would mean I'd have to get out of my jammies......what am I thinking? LOL

Hope that you thaw out soon and have some really nice days to enjoy outside​

and to just get out and do fun things!​

Ice is the worst. Our road in front of the house is dry so I can take my two out for a walk, which helps with the cabin fever. The temperature even got up into the low 40's on Tuesday so I got a little harness outing in, too. Now we are single digits again. BRRR! We had a wind chill of -39 F on Wednesday. I've been playing with my button collection and crafting a little. It's been rather nice to have enforced quiet time. But an outing to a restaurant or an antique store would be very welcome about now!

Someone told me their friend in VA lost chickens to the cold. I went out to put mine up last night and 2 were hunkered down by the corral--wouldn't even move to go to roost. I think they didn't want to walk on the snow and ice anymore. I picked them up and put them in the chicken house. All are fine this morning, but I surely would have lost those two. They will stay in their pen today and not range around.

Every time your see those quilts in the future, I think they will bring back memories of this winter. You should write a little note and attach to them so that story will follow them in the future.

Back