By the numbers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Rena

Reaction score
I called AMHA and AMHR/ASPC yesterday and asked how many horses are registered in each.

AMHA - 213,000

AMHR - 319,000

ASPC - 16,300

These are rough numbers (thank you to the ladies that helped me). Of the 16,300 registered ASPC horses if half are short enough to hardship, that would add only 8000 horses to AMHR. Thought yall might like to know.
default_whistling.gif

There is NO way half of the registered Shetlands are short enough to hardship... It's got to be much less...

You would need to know how many are registered in each division. Highest percentage of Modern/MP/ASPR would never be able to hardship, not saying they can't. There are a few AMHR "Moderns".

Highest percentage would be in classic and foundation, but there is no way to know who is an over classic and who is under enough. Same with foundation who go up to 42 inches.

Nobody will ever truely know, for not all ponies ever see the showring.

So by saying 1/2 is ludicrous. It would be more correct to see how many foundation or under classics showed by running top 100 report through the results to see who might be eligible as a possibility. This would be more accurate than the number you guessed.

Thanks for the information just-rena, this is why those of us that love the straight AMHR horses are so stunned by the actions of the registry. Without those single registered horses the registry could not support even a small percent of the programs it does, kind of like slowly choking to death the golden goose!

They gave you the last registration number issued - in that case you are a zero off in your Shetland numbers as the numbers are in the 163,000 range over 124 years. And they didn't account for the number gap in AMHR (there is a HUGE gap in AMHR numbers because the database is all tied together and the active Shetland numbers plus room for Shetland growth were skipped - off the top of my head I think something like 75,000 numbers fall in the number gap and are not assigned to any AMHR registered horse) and just gave you the most recent registration number issued over 41 years.

Shetland numbers registered in the last 25 years (if we use a 25 year life span like most big horse breeds do) is about 25,000.

AMHR numbers in the same time period are about 185,000.

103 Shetlands were hardshipped into AMHR between Jan 1 and the end of October as part of the Hardship sale vs. 517 AMHA horses.

Of the 800 to 1200 Shetlands registered every year only a small number that aren't already AMHR are going to stay small enough at 3 years of age to register AMHR. The serious ASPC/AMHR breeders have been hardshipping their stock all along!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back