Buying a wagon?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Bob's Buggy. He seems like a nice guy and his carts are beautiful. We are interested in buying the stinger model. It is yellow and black. and a 4 seater. Any every buy a cart form him. Any critque of the cart woudl be great. It is for a ta tem.

The web site

http://www.buggybobs.com/about.htm

Then go to carriages in stock

You will see the stinger

Any thoughts???

I KNOW!!!!!! My husband wants to buy it for me:)) I am the cheap one and a bit scared. The guy has been so helpful. He even said if we like it and others like it we can sell them for him (you know as an addtional feature on our site).

I dont think I could use it in a show. But maybe a local show. We were thinking trail rides in the woods. What do you think?? Not badly priced either!!!

He has beautiful carts and wagons. I like his wooden easy entry cart, its like the one I sold
default_no.gif

I don't know a thing about prices of these carts and wagons, so I am no help at all.

My friend Jaye, has a wood buckboard wagon for sale. She is an hour and 15 mins from here.

But the wagons on that site are beautiful!

Robin

I actually contacted Jaye. Her cart is really nice but a bit big. We ran acros each other on a yahoo group. She answered my question about team drivng and we got chatting. She is very sweet. Gave me great pointers, too.

I am glad that you were able to talk with Jaye. She is really smart and has tons of driving experience!

Robin

A few things to consider when buying such a vehicle....If you'll notice, most of the four(and more?) wheelers pictured are built with a "reach"; that is the bar that connects the front and rear axles, or, they are made with very small 'bike' type' wheels that will pass under the "box", or body, of the vehicle. Some are 'cutunder', which will allow the wheel to pass under the box, but only as far as the 'reach'; some are NOT cutunder, and have wheels too large to pass under the box(you'll notice that those have the wheels set out wider away from the box.). It is important to understand that a reach, as well as the lack of a cutunder, LIMIT the turn radius of a vehicle...sometimes severely...so if you try a 'tight' turn, whether intentionally or not, the vehicle could turn over--because the front axle can only 'rotate' so far in either direction. It is not uncommon to see everyday-type buggies made this way, but it IS something to watch out for, depending on what you wish to do with your vehicle. What might be OK for walking down a parade route may NOT be safely suitable for much else!

Of all of the vehicles pictured, for the use you mentioned(trail driving in the woods, right?), the only one I'd recommend considering, just based on what I can see in the pics, would be the two seat Mini 'utility cutunder', with the motorcycle wheels. It will seat just as many, and would be sturdier, safer, and more maneuverable than the 'lil Red Devil' (which is a version of a surrey, and has NO cutunder(and front wheels too large to pass under the 'box', best I can tell from the pics),meaning it would not have really good maneuverability;it has a higher center of gravity, meaning more easily tipped over -- and flimsier wheels. I read the descriptions, and know those aren't 'bike' wheels; they are similar to the wheels found on Frontiers, and are surely heavier-duty and stronger than actual bike wheels, but I personally would not want a 4 wheeler to be pulled by multiples, and presumably, to carry as many as four full sized adults, on those narrow pneumatic tires/wheels. Even though small in diameter, the motorcycle wheels should be much sturdier, more resistant to puncture, and roll more easily over soft or uneven ground. If you want a 'top', I imagine you could get one built for that vehicle; the attachments should be pretty simple. It's cute AND should be sturdy and servicable for the use you mention, I believe.

No matter what you get, I wouldn't really recommend lamps ---they 'look' cute, but are almost NEVER really 'useful'...and add considerably to the price, even the reproduction, electric ones, which I think those probably are.

Ask how heavy the vehicles are; remember that the total weight of vehicle and all possible occupants need to be taken into account, so as not to overface the pair, especially a miniature pair.

I own three pair vehicles; have driven a pair for quite a few years now. The only vehicle I'd consider among those pictured on the page referenced is the two seat 'utility cutunder'.

Enjoy driving your pair/team!

Margo

I have 3 of Buggy Bobs carriages...they look much nicer in person. He does impeccable craftsman ship with the paint, pinstripes, the surrey tops and the seats. You cant see in the pictures but on his surreys up on the top of the 4 posts he places these adorable small pony shoes painted black...they have no use but sure are a nice touch and everyone always comments on how darling they are. He was awesome to deal with it wasnt too difficult having them sent to S.Fla. ( he worked w/me and had one of his friends deliver.. all 3 times....price wasnt too bad actually). I would definatley purchase from him again.

I have

The black and yellow 2 seat mini/pony carriage w/ surry top # NS109, I have the brass lanterns, brass rein pole,whip holder and cup holder I did purchase the team pole with it ( I put the cart before the horse on this one as I still do not have a team...still looking? ) The only problem I have found with this cart is that it is alittle difficult to get in and out...you sort of have to step on a part that is not really meant to step on and when you do you mess up his nice pin stripes.

My other one is NS107, yellow and green 2 seat this one I did not get the lights ( IMO the lights on my 1st were nice but not real practical )..I can use the other team pole on this one. I do like this carrige. But I changed the wheels because they were always going flat and were a little flimsy IMO

I also have one of his wooden carts w/ wood wheels. This is the one that gets the most use!!

Margo made some great points and she is right on the $ when she descibes the turn capability with these carriages. You really need to make wide turns because the wheel WILL hit the carriage on the 1st one but does pass under ( to a point ) the utility vehicle. I have only trotted several times in both carriages on packed dirt roads with only myself in the carriage and I wouldnt call it the smoothest ride but it was o.k. You may find it alittle bumpy in the woods.

Zoey I purchased these carriages to only use in the parades we do ( I do alot of local ones...nothing big ) and these carriages are perfect for that. Basically just walking and looking pretty. I have never had more than one adult 135#( I have a big but ) in the front and up to 4 very small children in the back. My 36 in stocky gelding pulls both easily on paved roads and my 38" would be the one that I would use on maybe a longer parade. Both carriages are very light to pull...amazingly light! I dont think I would use either of the carriages for my drives in the woods IMO...I just dont think they are sturdy enough...maybe if you knew where you were going and had nice wide paths but its almost like they are too nice for country driving. I personally like my little wooden cart for those drives.

Zoey if you would like snail mail photos I would be glad to sent you some close ups.

Your husband sounds very generous!! Get one quick before he changes his mind!! If you are going to the show in Ockachobbee next month I will bring it for you to take a look at if you like.

idi

Thanks. I sent you a message idi. I am thankful for the info.

[SIZE=12pt]Since you brought up wagons, how's this for ya?[/SIZE]

This wagon is built to accommodate a one, two, or three up. There are three gorgeous show bridles too but I am not sure if they are going with it or separate bid. This wagon is solid oak and in perfect shape. It has been kept under cover of course.

CMHR will have it at WORLDS and we will be taking silent bids on it at our booth so please do drop by.

It's for a good cause too.
default_wub.png

Love you guys!

CMHRwagon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty are you only taking bids at the show? And if not and we can give someone else a bid ( maybe to put a bid in for me ) would I need to find shipping in say XXX # of days.

Solid oak!! That is one beautiful wagon!! I love the fact it even has the foot peg/step. Is there a makers mark on it any where?

Fairytail, thank you, those are really stunning and yes they may be safer. I only do little parades so its basically just lots of walking with the "adopted for the day" local Kids having fun and playing theme dress up. So I really like my carriages to be alittle different. Zoey emailed me and I hope she sees this because the carriages you listed sound like just what she would need... Sounds she likes to go in the woods and haul a%^$%!! I dont even want to think about the price of the one on itebtebuggy!

[SIZE=12pt]Since you brought up wagons, how's this for ya?[/SIZE]
This wagon is built to accommodate a one, two, or three up. There are three gorgeous show bridles too but I am not sure if they are going with it or separate bid. This wagon is solid oak and in perfect shape. It has been kept under cover of course.

CMHR will have it at WORLDS and we will be taking silent bids on it at our booth so please do drop by.

It's for a good cause too.
default_wub.png

Love you guys!

CMHRwagon.jpg
[SIZE=12pt]The bids will be taken at Worlds at the CMHR booth. However since we were not able to get it to Nationals we will be taking bids thru the mail or e-mail which ever you prefer.[/SIZE]

There will be a reserve on this cart!
default_rolleyes.gif
. It is in beautiful condition and would be a fun cart for show locally or at Nationals or Worlds. If I'm not mistaken if taken care of these carts will hold their value and give you years of fun!!

There are 3 beautiful harnesses that will be bid on separately and these pictures will be posted. They were made by the gentleman that makes the Budweiser teams harnesses. Loads of Bling on these and I will try and get them posted later today.

[SIZE=14pt]The people who donated the wagon and harnesses and numerous other items to CMHR were Lonnie and Sara Whitworth of Aumsville OR. These were donated in memory of their wonderful little "Mouse"[/SIZE] aka [SIZE=14pt]Equitot's Enticing Mirage [/SIZE]who passed away this year.

[SIZE=14pt]If you would like to bid on the Chuck Wagon please send your bid with your name, address, amount of bid, your e-mail address, [/SIZE]

To CMHR President

Jess Freer

12607 HWY 82 W

Brookston, TX 75421

Last edited by a moderator:
The IteBte carriages are really very reasonable when compared to other four wheelers. I was seriously considering going into debt for a custom one, but we went ahead and bought our first house and I got a little three stall mini barn instead....I'll have to wait for my IteBte.
default_smile.png
Since I want to do parades, trail driving and CDEs along with ADS shows...I need something that can cross over. Hey--dreaming is still free. lol

Latest posts

Back