Buying a new colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at a new colt. I think he is adorable, but what should I be looking for.

I will not be showing, but I guess everyone wants their mini to be correct.

He seems to be proportioned nicely(only 7 weeks) Do most babies seem to have larger heads? His ears are darling and his face looks dished to me. I have never bought a baby before, and I am still new to minis myself.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Debbie

aktion033.gif
I love to hear when people are adding new friends to their fields
aktion033.gif

If the colt is to be a pet and friend I would think you would like to geld him?

This can only be done if both " Jewels" have dropped if they have not it is very expenseve to have a gelding done.

I would share that if you are new to horses it is worth the money to have a vet check done. If the teeth do not line up right " off bite" the care to the colts teeth can add up :new, if the legs are not straight and under the horse this could make it so you need a better blacksmith. ( not always easy to find)

I am from four genarations of Horse People and have often heard " It takes more money to care for a bad horse than it does a good one"
new_shocked.gif

That said I know that some of the best horses are far from perfect. But would not want to see anyone buy and fall in love with a horse that is not healthy.
sad.gif

Thanks for the reply. He will be gelded for sure. I am buying over the internet with lots of pictures and of course he wounldn't be able to come home for a while yet. I hate not being able to see him in person, but I just can't find what I want nearby.

Anymore suggestions or advice greatly appreciated. I have not purchased him yet still making up my mind.

Debbie

Ask if the owner can take a photo of his bite and his legs.

Even if his bite is just a little "off" , that's okay -- especially for a future gelding. But off a half tooth or more I would worry.

Slightly cow-hocked in back is okay for the legs....but not badly. A slight cow-hock tends to straighten up as the foal builds muscle and gains weight.

Not sure what you mean by a "larger head" without a photo. If you are looking at the baby from a "big horse"owner's perspective, then, yes it isn't unusual. However, if you are used to seeing mini foals, then I would tell you to be cautious. (Clear as mud, right?)

Guess that about covers it for now.....
biggrin.gif

MA

Hi guys,

Do you think it would be alright to send out a picture of this little guy to someone on this forum who knows minis better than I do?

If it would be ok, do I have any volunteers? He is just such a cutie that it is hard not to fall for him.

Debbie

also, check with others who have bought horses from this seller beforehand, if its possible. Alot of time a seller is all talk but once the sale is made..its buyer beware if a problem should arise. Try to find a good reputable breeder to help you. There are alot of great people on the forum..is there anyone in your area, who you could talk too, and possible help you? Especially since you are new to minis. Do you know "dwarf characteristics" when you see them? I would love to see a picture of this little guy. Corinne

All of the above!!
smile.gif
Ask for some guarantees as well ( I have no idea what price range you are in, or height range, but I will always height guarantee my foals- OR SAY THEY ARE NOT GUARANTEED- either is fair, so long as you know!!) Also, if he is registered and the papers, for whatever reason, are not coming with him, ask for a written guarantee that he is registered and that the papers will follow- I always do this anyway, it sets peoples minds at rest and gives them a pedigree to look at!!- It would be fair to ask to see the papers, if they are being sent off for changing into your name, if this is the case I will give photocopy, if the registration is not complete (and none of mine are
smile.gif
) I will give a photocopy of the registration form and a pedigree- I like my buyers to be happy!! Basically, though, if the price is right and you like him, he is the right horse for you!! The very best of luck with him!!

Big heads are a problem in miniatures that most of us are working hard on trying to breed better heads. I would say though if his head seems big at 7 weeks its probably going to be big at 7 months. If you want a gelding i would be sure that the contract says he must be dropped and ready to geld by a certain age. Also if height is important to you get a height guarantee and a health guarantee.

id be happy to look at pics if you want to email them

[email protected]

I agree with everything that has been said so far.

If his head appears large now, it will only get larger and out of proportion as he gets older. Also if he has not been completely body clipped it is HARD if not impossible to tell how balanced he is. At seven weeks they can change a lot too by the time they get older.

I think it is good idea to ask for a volunteer to see the photos. But again it is hard to tell even with some photos what the horse really looks like. A photo of the dam and sire would be a help too. Expecially the dam as most babies will look like them even tho the stallion gets the credit for the breeding.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back