Buying a mini to show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and of course I joined because I have some questions. As I'm looking at horses I see world champions and HOF horses from 10 years ago and they look like tiny horses. But a lot of what I see that is younger look like tiny Arabian horses. So I'm curious about what I would need if I was going to be very serious about showing. Do the older style horses not win anymore or are the Arabians just a trend that some people like? Do I want correct and solid or do I need a hooky neck and tiny head? I'd love to hear any thoughts on it.

The Arabian type is a trend that has taken a pretty good hold on the registry shows. Horses that were winning 10 years ago have a hard time competing in today's open halter classes. Today they like to see more leggy, refined horses, which is why the Shetland bred ones have become so popular. Now AMHR has introduced the western stock halter classes, and those are meant for the more sturdy built old type horses. The hope is those classes will draw out some older horses who have not been showing in recent years. Tge old type horses can still excel in performance--hunter, jumper, obstacle

Latest posts

Back