Buy, Train, Sell

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like papers myself. Proves how old the horse is if nothing else. And of course if it's a show horse you need them. Right now I wouldn't even consider one without papers but the prices are the same in this area. For big horses as well as minis. I'm seeing a lot of "registered but the papers were lost" and even a lot of horse that very clearly do not match the papers and it's not slowing people down at all. A lot of the market right now seems to be new horse people that don't have a clue, and all they really want is something that isn't going to try to kill them like their feed lot rescue horse or pony is.
Actually prices are a little crazy right now in general. I'm seeing the same horse sell for $1500 then 3 months later be listed for $9000, or the other way around.

Registered horses are priced higher to start in our area but as mentioned in the above posts, training and experience are what pack on the dollars and interest. Locally, the biggest horse activity is trail riding.

Even before the pandemic, horse show opportunities for registered miniatures dwindled to almost nothing. There is one AMHR/ASPC show annually about 3 hours from here and our closest open shows are gaming shows. So ponies trained and experienced in riding and driving are sought after and papers are immaterial.

Congratulations, Kelly, on selling Shadow so quickly! So many great places in your area to walk and drive. Someone is going to have fun! 😊

The only "trained" horse I ever considered buying was a show horse. I was rather intimidated as I am not a show-quality driver. What if I ruined him? What if he could only drive in a show ring and would be an idiot on the trail?
I do regret that Midnight does not have papers. If I planned to breed her, I would pay the bucks to try and get her into AMHA.

I have to ask, did you REALLY sell Shadow or just advertise to see what the market in your area is? I'm not sure :D ! Around here pleasure horses are selling for ridiculous prices although I think it's slowing down because of winter coming and maybe the economy. Not unusual for an aged (late teens-20, back yard, SAFE gelding to go for about $5,000. Same horse that would've been $1,800 or so pre-pandemic. Minis are high too if they have a talent (leadline or drive) and they are snapped up quick. A regular pony is a rarity as they are grabbed up by trainers and flipped as pony hunters for $$$. I'm a pony person at heart and would love something about 14 -14.2 hands to ride but there is nothing out there I can afford (or find) and I'm not making payments on a pony 😂.

Haha!! 🤣 I did really sell him, and I still can’t believe it! I guess it was meant to be. I take him to his new home tomorrow morning. He is going to a great home, I am so excited for the buyers! Hate to see him go, I’ve put so much work into him and I just LOVE that little guy, but it will be bittersweet. 😍

Yeah, I sold my dressage mare early this year because of the move and she too went like a hot cake! She was an awesome little pony, 13.3 hh, just loved her. Ohhhhhh and she was beautiful! And full of sass 🥰

I put my old man, awesome trail horse, up for sale before we moved, I had a ton of interest in him…. But I just couldn’t do it. Him and I have been through so much. I got him when he was 8 and he is now 22. So I do still have him and he is enjoying retirement 😍

Last edited:
My last riding pony was 13.3! Her name was Bittersweet (speaking of bittersweet) and she was pretty darn peppy. I was a little leggy on her but showed her and had lots of fun. One judge came up to me after he pinned the class and offered to buy her out from under me. Years later I still think of that day as one of the best. It was better than any blue ribbon as the offer came with great compliments (I'm bragging here and I don't usually but I put a lot of work into this pony and I was so happy) Judge even gave me his card to contact him if I change my mind. I lost her several years ago, she was 27.
I was on facebook today and a "hony" caught my eye, about 14.2ish and teens, but he was head bobbing lame, $6,500.
I'm glad you kept your old man. I love the old ones. Worth their weight in gold!

Thanks for clearing up my confusion re: the sale!

You both look fabulous! Age? What age? What? Are you both in your 20’s now? ;)

Beautiful boy, and yes, many happy years ahead!

Awwweeeee, You guys are too kind 💕💕💕💕

Here’s the update on Shadow… since some of y’all didn’t believe I actually sold him LOL LOL 😘😘… I still can’t believe it either 😊

Captain America, formerly known as Shadow, LOVES his new home and his new human. Here is a quick video of his new home & his new little boy…

Captain America is living the dream! He is pastured with Gramms & Gramps, both about 28 years young!! His new place has a driving ring, an arena, several ponds, lots of quiet paved & gravel roads for driving. He is the King of the Palace, no other ponies at this place. All the lesson kiddos are gonna LOVE him too!! I think he is already spoiled rotten!! 💕

Last edited:
I love Cappy! The new owner sent me videos from his phone ystrdy, wish I could figure out how to upload them because the little boy giggling would bring tears to your eyes, well it did mine anyways. 💕 And now the owner of the facility, who sold all his polo horses, retired from riding, and is renting out his facility to a gal, is now thinking of getting a mini horse or pony and a cart!!! So Cappy’s new owner & the owner of the facility are both retired and the same age can drive together. Sooooo many good things happening!!

Might also be a way to make some new driving friends if you sold them locally.

You’re right! We are already talking about meeting up for a drive. He just got his cart ystrdy and is waiting on the harness he purchased from Mindy. He is talking about buying a cargo van too!!!

Latest posts

Back