Busy night at Mountain Meadows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
Hi everyone

It has been a crazy weekend! I have been so sleep deprived with watching 3 mares w/buzzers that I finally kicked it into gear and got hooked up with MareStare just yesterday - still don't even have my farm up or anything yet!

But, it was a wet, snowy day yesterday and in the evening the snow really started comming down - hard and fast. Of course about 9 pm Whitney goes into labor - maiden mare so it was tight, but she delivered a healthy black pinto filly, got the jammies on and 2 heat lamps, made sure she new where the breakfast bar was, and off to bed.

Naturally a couple of hours (1 am) later the power goes off! Ok, so now it is down to the barn to see how the horses are doing and check on the new baby - without the heat lamps she was getting chilled so doubled up on the blankets.

Then up to the house (this is a 300 ft climb up a pretty good slope in 10" of slimy, wet snow - so NOT fun!), to get the generator out and get it up and running. That involved getting a 300 lb generator out of the garage and up to the house - remember the 10" of snow - well only had to push that thing about 100 ft, but finally got it up and running so we had lights & heat lamps again.

OK, so now it is after 2 AM - Nugget sets the pager off and sure enough she is foaling!
default_new_shocked.gif
Nugget is a red bag mare and all her foals have been red bags -- this one was no different but thankfully the baby was in the correct position and Nugget delivered a bay pinto filly while standing up -- OK, dig out more baby blankets, move one of the heat lamps into Nugget's stall, make sure the baby is nursing, and go back up the slimy, now 12" deep snow covered slope and go to bed. But at least it had stopped snowing!

Power was supposed to be on by 7 - well naturally it wasn't, not at 9, 10 or 11. But with the generator on we could still spy on the babies in the barn. I was finally getting back under emotional control when my hubby says -- " Geeze Stac -- ANOTHER ONE! !
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
" Ok, so this time is was Dream and she foaled completely on her own barely hidden from view on the camera - we didn't know until the foal tottered into view! OK, back down to the barn (snowing again :DOH! :DOH! ) and dig up a couple more baby blankets - this filly was nuring already and tooodling around pretty good, but really cold. Also, this baby was only about 305 days so kind of premie. She is a "fainter" and I posted a couple of questions on another post.

But anyway, hoping that the other 2 that aren't technically due for couple more weeks will hold off so that I can catch up a bit.

Whoo Hoo - the power came back on around 11:30
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
BUT, for some reason, the furnace blower keeps blowing fuses, so can't run the furnace :DOH! :DOH! It is going to be a cold night, but hopefully no more foals! And anyone who wants about a foot of wet snow can come & get it - not an April Fools joke!

Stac

Wow Lady you have been busy... Congrats on your new babies and hopefully things will get back to normal for ya....

default_new_shocked.gif
What a night! Glad everything turned out OK Stacy!!

CONGRATULATIONS on three fillies!!! Can't wait to see pictures of them!!
default_wub.png

default_new_shocked.gif
Geez that's crazy, three all at once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck catching up on sleep, and can't wait to see these little ones.
default_biggrin.png

Wow, eventful night!

Congrats on the three fillies!!!

Kari

default_new_shocked.gif
Holy cow! I am tired just reading that! What a payoff though - 3 fillies. Can't wait to see them!

Congratulations Stacy on 3 fillies in one busy night. Of course they are going to foal the night it snows and the power goes off.

Wow!! Congratulations, and I can't wait to see what the new girls look like, and who their parents are (I've drooled over horses on your website more than once).
default_drool5.gif

What a bunch of night-mares
default_biggrin.png
I think they were doing you a service having them all in one night like that, but why so cold and snowy??????? aukkkkkk

Stace......I can't even imagine truding up and down a snow covered slope like that all that way, dragging a generator to boot. Are you kidding me????????? We're going to have to get you a ski-lift or a snow mobile or something!

I'm sure happy it all turned out alright and you can finally get a bit of rest. Can't wait to see pics of the babies. And oh, now you are going to have to give us all a lesson in why you think some mares repeat red bags like you had there. Have a nice hot cup of herbal tea now and breathe.

Good Lord Stacy, sounds like filly fairy didn't want to have to come back through all that snow either and just dropped them all at once!
default_new_shocked.gif
Congratulations.

Leia

Trust me Marty - it is going to be something a bit stronger than herbal tea!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Leah, how is Kody doing after his stifle surgery? I am so glad you got it done.

Stac

Wow, congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
That is a VERY busy night, lol! I think you may have sent the snow HERE-- it's really coming down out there! (thanks, lol!)

Wow, Stacy...

Congrats on the healthy baby fillies... but What a night!!!!

and...I'll pass on your offer about the snow....... hehehehehe

We will need some pictures of those girls.....
default_biggrin.png

~Sandy

oh,,, the little puppy is doing GREAT!
default_biggrin.png

That sounds like one heck of a night,

Hope your planning on getting some sleep soon
default_smile.png

I want to see pics of the fillies
default_wub.png

What a night!! Glad everything turned out ok. U just reminded me why I live in Fl. Three fillies too, wow.
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on your three fillies in one night! Is that like a hat trick in hocky?

Can't wait to see pictures.

Latest posts

Back