Bunny People Help please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candycar

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a medium size bunny that I just brought over to the house from the family farm (her buddy died in the heat wave). She is now running free in my outside Kitty Pen with the cats. She gets along great with them and the chickens when they get yard time.

I need to know what to do for flea & tick control for her. The cats all get Revolution so they are ok, but I worry the bunny will get fleas & ticks running around in the yard. Can you use Frontline or revolution for cats on bunnies? Also, since she was housed in a cage for a while, she is very dirty/urine stained. How do you give them a bath? I have bathed cats, horses, dogs and even a chicken without too much trouble, but what do you have to do for a bunny? Any special concerns or tecniques?

Are there any forums/websites for rabbit owners like the LB or backyardchickens that I can go to for any concerns I have ?

Thanks for any help! Y'all are the greatest!

don't know about the flea issue, but I have bathed a bunny in the bathtub.He didn't like the bath, but loved being dried with the hair dryer.He made out fine.A very wet bunny in the tub is a terrible site.

Can't answer the flea/tick issue, but I'm sure there's a forum for rabbits. Stupid me for not looking since we have rabbits for my daughter's 4-H.

We own two satins and one mini lop, but I do know that there is a breed that you aren't supposed to bathe because it ruins their fur. I just can't remember what breed it is. As far as I know, all other breeds are safe to bathe.

I"ve bathed rabbits before, and it helps to have two people. Reason is since rabbits are prey animals if they panic their back breaks very easily. Bath them the same way you would a cat, have someone hold by the scruff of the neck and make sure all legs are down in the tub, then you can wash, use extra caution around the face as they hate water in the face, so use a rag. If the rear is the only area soiled, maybe you can just wash the rear to remove fecal matter.

Do NOT use Frontline on rabbits. It is deadly to them. You can use Advantage (NOT Advantix) for Kittens and Revolution, as they should be safe for them, but if you should notice that bunny has an allergy to either of them, bathe bunny immediately to get the rest off. Also, don't use flea collars or anything like that on a rabbit.

Here's a rabbit forum that may help with any other questions you have...

http://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM

Thanks to all that responded! and Thank You KanoasDestiny! The binkybunny site is great. Now I have tons of reading to do! Who knew that having a bunny would be so involved! I'm probably doing alot wrong, but at least the new bunny seems very happy now. Now to find a vet that spays rabbits.....

Glad I could help. My dwarf rabbit will be 11 next month. I've had him since he was 2 months old.
default_smile.png
Make sure to do a lot of research when it comes to the pros/cons of spaying/neutering a rabbit. They don't handle anestesia very well, and because they are so low to the ground, it's hard to keep incisions clean.

In all honesty if there are no male bunnies present I wouldn't risk spay surgery, bunnies don't show wild signs of estrus/heat and don't take going under very well, it's a big risk!

Latest posts

Back