Bunnies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
We finally have bunnies here, been in the pastures for years, but finally moved to the yards. However, I am finding that my Coneflowers are being bitten off at the base. Thats the only damage to them, nothing is even nibbled on. Pretty sure the bunnies are doing it. What can I do to stop them? Fencing off the flower beds isnt an option. TIA!! Heather

We are having the same problem here. Bunnies are abundant and looks like birds of prey are'nt that hungry this summer.

Got a dog? Lay some plops around your coneflowers for a spell. I know grose, but around the perimeters where I throw out the doggie poo, the rabbits don't hang out. But they do come onto the immediate property with "chase me" signs on their hineys .....the pups love to give chase! :DOH!
default_wacko.png

Ahhh puppy poopie LOL I spread out hubbies shaving clippings, sounds neater ROFLAO!!!! I have trained my heeler not to chase critters, too many skunks ya know :DOH! On second thought though, I am wondering if it is bunnies afterall. The plants are sheared at the base, the soil line, and are still standing. Only way I know they are sheared is they die. Just know the little beggers have killed $50 in plants so far LOL Least its not the several hundred my neighbors dogs have wiped out.

I know what you mean about birds of prey. We used to have chickens and we had hawks all the time. Now all I see are Kestrals and Merlins. I think all the drilling around here is driving off all the predators.

MOTH BALLS!!! i had bunnies chewing up my clematis, my balloon flowers, and my black-eyed susans. i threw a few moth balls out around the base of each plant and haven't had a problem since. i keep them in the shed outside, can't stand the smell of them in the house.

last weekend, i had a friend dig up a bunch of gorgeous hollyhocks and i transplanted them in my yard, out where gary's tree is planted. i took a small one out to the cemetery and planted it next to gary's headstone. went out monday to water it and it was COMPLETELY dug up, just laying there looking mighty forlorn. i replanted it, sprinkled moth balls all around it and when i went back out there yesterday afternoon, it was standing tall. i think it was probably a deer that dug it up so maybe moth balls will repel those lovely critters, too!

I would check just below the soli around the most recently murdered stem and see if you have cut worms. If you suspect a worm is shearing your plants off (sounds more like insect damage than bunnies if they are cut at soil level and still standing) you can make a collar out of cardboard slipped into the soil a short way to block the crawlies from reaching the next victim.

Hmmm cutworms have heard of them, but dont know what they look like. Thanks, will go google them. Great idea about the moth balls too! Thanks!

I've got lots of bunnies and have both cone flowers and holly hocks. No problems with any of my plants. (Knocking on wood.) Course I also have a couple of dogs that like to visit that particular flower bed. If they don't look nibbled on I'd think it's probably some kind of bug rather than the bunnies.

I have bunnies all over the place and they are not ruining my flowers. The voles on the other hand are killing my lilacs, sunflowers and clemitis. My yard is full of holes.

I have set out mouse traps this week in the raised garden beside the house. So far I have caught 2 mice and 5 voles in my tiny garden.

These creatures are more destructive then moles or rabbits. The only way you know you have them is your plants start to die and you find holes.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have any experience with voles but I believe that voles actually eat the roots rather than cut the plant down.

Latest posts

Back