Building More Stalls..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RENMACMINIS

Ok.. since we have had some new additions to my little herd here lately. We are having to build more stalls. I plan on keeping the colts inside in their stalls most of the time except for a couple of hours a day. What size would be best for them? my current stalls are 10x10 should they be the same size or could i say drop it down to 5x10 or 6x10??? and the 2 fillies will be outside with the my other 2 mares but i plan on bringing them in at nite.. would a 10x10 be ok for the both of them together?? or should i separate them? say into 2 smaller stalls? my barn is only 30x40 and i have 3 stalls already built for my other horses.. so i have one whole side to build stalls on so that is 30 feet by 10 feet. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... oooo also how high should they be?? for the mares and for the colts? now keep in mind as soon as the colts drop one of them is going to be gelded.. just dont know which one yet...
wacko.gif
i cant make up my mind on that..lol. Thanks Again

Sherry

If they are going to be in their stalls, all but for a couple hours a day, I would make them as large as you can.
yes.gif

I like to keep mine all in separate stalls so I can easily see what they are eating & drinking. Also can keep track of their manure output this way. When horses are stalled together....it's hard to tell who is eating/drinking what & whose poop is whose?

I would make the colt's stall sides higher. When they get older...the ole testosterone will kick in & some stallions can clear stall walls amazingly easy trying to get to a mare in season.
rolleyes.gif
(how high you need would depend on the height of the stallion) I would make them at least 4 feet....but you could make the bottom 3 feet "solid"...and then space out a couple of 2 x 4s above them to allow them to see out...but discourage any jumping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dona's suggestions are really good. How large to make them depends on how much room you have in the barn sounds like you have good space I think with stalls, the bigger the better if they are going to spend much time in them. Mary

I agree with the post above. If they are going to be confined they need to be as big a possible. If ten by ten is as big as you can get thats what they should be.

Latest posts

Back