Bug Killer around Feed/Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeganH

Reaction score
I just found a HUGE Black Widow spider in my hay/feed shed. This shed is connected to our stables.

It had made a web connected to the hay bales and some wood. I got closer to look at what kind of spider it was and couldn't believe how big it was when I realized it was a Black Widow. Pure black with a red spot. I turned to pick up a 2x4 to try to kill it and it had went into the hay when I turned back around.
wacko.gif

I want it dead.. so I am giving it time to come back out and I hope I will be able to get it with the wood. If not- is it ok to spray a bug killer very close to/on hay or feed? I don't want to spray anything even close it. Just wanted to know if anyone knew the answer. I know my husband will suggest it if we can't kill it otherwise.

I had to come in and change all of my clothes. I do NOT like spiders.
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not think it would be safe to spray or treat any horse feed with insect/bug repellents.

If you are going to try something I would check with the manufacturer and tell them where you plan to use it.

Try to wait until you see it out away from your hay a few feet, they nail that sucker with pyranha aerosol fly spray. Stand back and laugh as it curls up and dies. Its safe for on horses, its marketed as fly spray, but also says it kills ants and roaches. I had a HUGE woof spider in one of the stalls the other day but was worried if I smashed it that it might have babies on it, which would scatter everywhere. The only thing I had around the barn was the pyranha, I sprayed it for about 3 seconds, and it dropped dead. I wouldnt spray anything directly ON your hay, but a horse safe fly spray should be safe to use around it. If you accidentally get some on your hay, can you just peel a flake off and throw it out?

Be Careful!! My dad sprayed bug killer on a panel in the barn a couple months ago and my one stud had a severe allergic reaction to it, pretty well scratching off his fas to raw bleeding skin, he was on dex2 for weeks to calm it down and to this day gets itchy when he goes back in the barn to that stall, vet says once they react it is just like our allergies and they just go overboard there after so I woudnt risk it!!!

lol meant to say face

What about vinegar? As soon as it struggles swat it and stamp stamp stamp

( hope no animal rights people are reading) ;)

LOL Renee and a mini dream come true.
new_rofl.gif

I definitely don't want to use bug killer.. I never liked the idea anyways
biggrin.gif

I want to stomp it and know its dead. OF COURSE it had to find the hay. So easy to hide in and hard for us to find it. Tomorrow morning I hope it will be there waiting for me and my husband. I hate knowing it is still there.
wacko.gif

The shed is small too.. I don't like going in there now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try the vinegar, it won't hurt horses, and might at least slow the spider down so you can kill it. Another product to try would be bleach, probably not so great for the hay, but also not so great for the spider. [When I was in CO, I found a black window in my kitchen sink, I doused her with bleach and she didn't kick for long, then I washed her down the drain with more bleach and plenty of water.]

Back