Bug Bites, Swelling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
Two of my horses have been bit by something. I think maybe those big nasty horse flies.

I have put a ice pack to help with the swelling, (it helped some) But do you give them anything to help keep them from swelling more?

Deb

If they are swelling considerably, they might be allergic...if so, you could try an antihistimine powder.

If you don't have any, you could try a making up and applying a cornstarch paste.

2 for the mini for the first dose then one as needed every 8 hrs. but I'd suggest asking a vet on the biggy. Liquid bendyl would be more cost effective I think. My vet told me to follow the bottles directions for the liquid. Remember I am NOT a vet only giving you suggestions I've recieved from my vet Lisa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do realize you are not a vet.
yes.gif
And I really appreciate your your input.

I try to take care of thing myself.

But if it gets worse, I will get a hold of my vet.

Thank you so much

Deb

One of our geldings is really allergic to mosquitos, they don't seem to bother him too much, itch-wise, but they get really swollen and he gets covered with bumps. The vet gave us Dexamethasone powder to feed him, said to give him a third of the packet and it would take the bumps right away. We're saving to do it tonight and tomorrow so he's bump free for the show and some last minute clipping. Hopefully it works!! The clinic sells Dex powder for $4 a packet, worth a try!

Kendra

Thank you very much.
aktion033.gif
I called my vet and asked about it. But after telling him how large the latest swelling was (the size of a dinner plate) He thought it better to come out and give him an injection. He also left me two packets in case it happens again.

He said with this shot he should be back to normal in 24 hrs.

Thanks again. I have him signed up for 7 classes in the Meadville show on Sunday and did not want him to miss it since I pre paid.
unsure.gif

Deb

Latest posts

Back