Buckskins with leg barring?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Hi,

this is my new mare, registered as a buckskin. But I didn't know buckskins had leg barring and a dorsal stripe?

Could she be something else too?

4afa47e7.jpg

1841a98a.jpg

Annie3.jpg

I am learning color from listening to the experts here on the forum, so I will let them tell you what she is. They are really good at color.

Does she have a Dorsal stripe?? It is possible for a horse to be Buckskin and Dun together. The pictures are in a bad light to see colour accurately- what colour are her parents registered as??

Ooops -sorry the middle one did not show up before!! Yes- she is a Dun- now, does she have a cream dilute parent???

Buckskin is Cream + (Black + Agouti)= Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
From the color I'm getting on my screen I think she is a straight Dun, no buckskin.

But knowing what her parents are will help
yes.gif

Ok, now I feel stupid.

Dam is registered as a dun and sire is black with bald face.

This color stuff is fascinating. Maybe someday I'll have is

all figured out?
no.gif
new_rofl.gif

You are not stupid- the dam was just as likely to have been a Buckskin as a Dun- NEVER trust the colours stated as gospel!!! That's why I asked about the Creams in the pedigree. If I had a dollar for every "Sorrel" that turned out to be a Silver Bay I'd be rich- same goes for "solid Grey" that turns out to be Silver and "Solids"that are in fact minimal Pintos, that's without even touching on the "roans" that are Greys and the "roans" that have no Roan parent, so No, do not beat yourself up- at least you are willing to learn!!! In all probability she is a Dun- but you should check for Cream in her pedigree anyway- unless you like surprises- you cannot tell by visual check, not any way at all!!

Here is HARLEYS LIL CLASS ACT..he is registered as a buckskin but I think he is a dun. He has barring on all legs a wide dorsal and face lacing..his mother was a palomino(?) and white pinto and daddy was a dark dapple. His mother has a faint dorsal also...(I think she is a dun IMO)

here is his color

haaarleyjuly32005.jpg

harleybars.jpg

MVC-024S.jpg

by the way your horse is very nice!!!!! I likey!!!

Very good example of a horse that could easily be both, whilst visually a Dun!!! The only way to tell for sure, as I said, is to test for Cream!!! As you have pointed out, Mama is probably a Dunalino.

rabbitsfizz said:
You are not stupid- the dam was just as likely to have been a Buckskin as a Dun- NEVER trust the colours stated as gospel!!!  That's why I asked about the Creams in the pedigree.  If I had a dollar for every "Sorrel" that turned out to be a Silver Bay I'd be rich- same goes for "solid Grey" that turns out to be Silver and "Solids"that are in fact minimal Pintos, that's without even touching on the "roans" that are Greys and the "roans" that have no Roan parent, so No, do not beat yourself up- at least you are willing to learn!!!  In all probability she is a Dun- but you should check for Cream in her pedigree anyway- unless you like surprises- you cannot tell by visual check, not any way at all!!
452336[/snapback]

And, don't forget the smoky blacks masquerading as plain black.
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back