BUCKSKIN PINTO OR PALOMINO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JANESMINIS

Reaction score
Hi.

My mare foaled around 6 weeks ago. She's bay and the sire is buckskin. The foal appeared to be a very golden palomino with white mane/tail and star. Now 6 weeks on he's got brown patches appearing on his legs and slightly on his face, this definitely doesn't appear to be palomino. I'm aware that most buckskins have dark manes, however is there any chance that he may be buckskin pinto. His sire, sired his first crop this year and has sired mainly buckskins.

Thanks in advance.

Jane.

Pictures would help if you have any.
default_smile.png

Pictures would help if you have any.
default_smile.png
Hi. Sorry, I meant to get photos today, however the weather was so awful, I didn't get around to it. Will post some as soon as I am able to. I was just really wondering whether this was possible, as I have no experience with breeding buckskins in the past and only minimal experience in breeding these gorgeous minis.

Thanks, Jane UK

if neither parent carry silver (and being bay/buckskin it should be visible?) then I would say he could just be a smutty palomino?

My stallions mum bucky, and dad is a blue roan - he is a smutty pally pinto, the breeders tried to tell me he was buckskin and the white patches were over his mane & tail (hence the white mane & tail) - but thats definitely not the case! He has dark hairs on his back legs/rump, and gets dark around the eyes.

Pic's would definitely help tho
default_smile.png

This is what our silver buckskin filly looked like, she is out of a silver bay and a buckskin

Trixie17days2.jpg
Trixie17days.jpg

Here;s a not so great weanling pic, as you can see her mane/tail went blonde as well

101_0888.jpg

And here she is now as a 2 year old

Trixie5.jpg

This is what our silver buckskin filly looked like, she is out of a silver bay and a buckskin

Trixie17days2.jpg
Trixie17days.jpg

Here;s a not so great weanling pic, as you can see her mane/tail went blonde as well

101_0888.jpg

And here she is now as a 2 year old

Trixie5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks silver of some kind....Depending on if the buckskin passed the creme gene. Hard to tell in those photos but his ears look all the same color (no darker tips) and legs look same color as his body. Could be silver palomino.

Thanks.

Yes I think maybe silver buckskin or silver palomino. Is there anyway I can tell which one, without doing any tests? He appears to be definitely turning some sort of silver colour.

Palomino would not show Silver as it is Red based and Silver does not show on Red.

But Silver Buckskin, it could be....not sure myself, and researching the bloodlines, unless you are talking to people who have seen the animals, is a bit of a waste of time really as most colours are wrong on AMHA....Silver is especially bad!!!

She looks to me like she could be a light silver bay. The coat, to me, looks too "peachy" to be palomino or buckskin.

Latest posts

Back