Buckskin color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
I only have a few buckskins and this year had my first buckskin foal.

At what age do they reach their final color?

Mine are deepening in color as they age.

This one is a yearling silver buckskin (shown below).

tequila3.jpg

I am really quite fascinated with this process and want to know more. Thank you.

I have found some of mine get more golden as they mature. We have five buckskins (four mares/fillies, one colt) and it's one of my favorite colors
default_wub.png
I'm hoping for some buckskin Buckeroo foals this spring (out of my perlino pinto BTU mares). As someone else here once said -- you can never have too many buckskins
default_biggrin.png

Here is the evolution thus far of a silver buckskin filly I own, Harrells Flirting with Perfection, a/k/a "Flirt". I own Flirt's dam as well, who is a silver dapple. Flirt's sired by a perlino. She's gone through some interesting changes. In the showy picture, I did enhance her mane and tail a bit with coloring. She is pictured from birth - current age which is 2yo.

Flirt%2006012006%20wet%201.jpg

Flirt%2006062006%203.jpg

FLIRTFACE%2006212003.jpg

Flirt%2007102006%206.jpg

Flirt%2008262006%203.jpg

Flirt%2011052006%2018.jpg

Flirt%20--%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20100%20Touched.jpg

Flirt%20070408%20112.jpg

(looking like a ragamuffin! "Color twin" Maddie is behind her)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a few buckskins.. Though most of ours are still young

First was a buckskin stallion we bought as a 4 year old who was a light buckskin.

And this is him now as an 8 year old:

101_2683.jpg

As a 6 year old:

CIMG2155.jpg

This is the above stallion's first filly for us, she was a gorgeous rich buckskin with jet black legs/,mane/tail as a foal, at weaning she was a "buttermilk" color, very light/creamy looking, now as a 4 year old she's a deep buckskin (darker than her sire but not a sooty buckskin)

Foal:

CIMG0846-1.jpg

Weanling:

CIMG1412.jpg

(Don't have any recent photos of her though I do get to see her often!)

This is is second foal, a buckskin pinto colt and full sibling to the above filly, he had a lot of black shading as a foal, as a yearling (last time I saw him in person) he had gone pretty light and no longer had the shading

Foal:

CIMG1931.jpg

CIMG1982.jpg

Weanling:

101_0890.jpg

This is his third foal, a silver buckskin filly, half sibling to the above colt/filly and out of a silver bay mare, she's changed quite a lot just over the past 2 years, have a feeling she's not done yet either!
default_wub.png

Foal:

Trixie17days.jpg

Weanling:

101_0883.jpg

Yearling:

DSCI0010.jpg

2 year old, I LOVE this shade and would be happy if she stayed this color!
default_wub.png

Trixie6.jpg

This is our little orphan girl, she was a rich buckskin as a foal but now as a 2 year old she's gone very light and it's hard to see her buckskin coloring on the white (dam was a beautiful buckskin too, unfortunately lost her when filly was a week old
default_no.gif
)

Fantomandfilly026.jpg

Most recent pic of her at the 4th of July Parade:

parade5.jpg

Our oldest buckskin is a mare that is now four years. She is MUCH darker this year than last.

When will she reach her final coloration?

Our oldest buckskin is a mare that is now four years. She is MUCH darker this year than last.
When will she reach her final coloration?
I think it really depends on the horse and that there's no set time frame for "final" coloration.. With the buckskins I posted above the oldest is now 8 and he's still changing shades year to year, while the others are still young (yearling to 4 years old) they too could very well change again, but I have a feeling the 4 year old is "done" as she's been that same shade for the past two years..

Joanne --

I've found that ground flax seed will really deepen the gold color on buckskins -- in case that's what you're wanting to see
default_smile.png

We have one smutty buckskin mare, Triple H Buckin Khaki, a/k/a "Khaki", whom we raised from a foal (bought at 1wk old) below... her color varies with the season but actually hasn't deepened like Flirt's. Then the others would be a silver buckskin mare colored just like Flirt who is also dun, but we got her as an adult, and two current year foals (one golden buckskin, and one tbd).

Khaki%20baby.jpg

khaki-020203-equusite.jpg

Khaki%20weanling%20with%20Harvey.jpg

Khaki%20----%2005-02-2004%20011.jpg

Goldie%20and%20Khaki%2006232006%202.jpg

Minis%20--%2003022006%20--%20025.jpg

KHAKI--07312006--%20BRUSHED%20027--her%20page.jpg

With the one above, when she arrived as a weanling in a full, fluffy coat... I was sure she'd clip off "brown" bay. In her winter coat, it looks almost like she's got a dark brown undercoat (see the fuzzy weanling shot and winter fur suit shot to see what I mean). As you can see, she sheds and clips off a nice bucksksin color that is pretty close to her name
default_smile.png

These are all wonderful photos and a great help.
default_smile.png

Some BEAUTIFUL minis too!

Thank you for sharing your photos and your comments.

This is an interesting color and it is fun to watch them darken. Especially on the pintos as it shows their markings better.

Joanne --

I just noticed the baby pictures of one of my silver buckskin mares, Wee Equine Acres Dun Sweet, a/k/a "Maddie", on her AMHA papers. As an adult, she and Flirt are colored almost identical -- but not as foals! You can see Maddie behind Flirt in one of the paddock shots above. This girl looked kinda palomino at the start of it all
default_smile.png

Jill

Baby%20Maddie%202%20400.jpg

Maddie%20002%20070208.jpg

Maddie%20062608%20155.jpg

Latest posts

Back