~Buckets Beware~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphynx~n~minis

Reaction score
I just wanted to take a minuite to tell all of you to check your Buckets.

I recently had an Emergency vet visit because of the wire on the bucket. This is the area where the wire connects to the bucket,,,,,These area's are very small but an accident can happen. Most of these area's have little black caps on the ends but after time they fall off or are chewed off, and the wire may start to seperate alittle.... causing . . . "A hidden Hazard". . . . Oscar my mini got his eye lid caught and ripped because of this small area on the bucket and had to have 4 stitches..... this is something I would never have paid to much attention to. Lesson learned.... so I pass this info off to you.... my forum friends,,, I have duct taped these area on all of my buckets... The my Vet said she see's alot of Emergency calls due to tounges eye and also nostrils that get caught and torn. This is not only for horses but dogs goats sheep, and other live stock.... As I think back a few years ago I had a horse get his tounge ripped and we didn't know what happend. Well I am pretty sure now I do know what happed to his tounge ... So please check your buckets. I always check my stalls for anything that could hurt my horses now, I will always check my buckets also.... This could have been alot worse, he could have lost an eye.... lucky for us, it was 4 stitches,,, ~ Be Safe ~ Kathy & Oscar

Thanks for the heads up. It is so hard to see the small hazards sometimes. Sorry you had to be the one to experience this.

That happened to two of my horses years ago at my former trainer's barn. We didn't know "what" caused it but in hindsight... Then last year, my stallion did it here and we discovered just as you have about the bucket. It happened in his stall and was the only possible culprit. That redneck chrome (duct tape) is a great solution just as you pointed out.

Additionally, all three of my horses healed fine. You'd never know it happened now.

Redneck Chrome!!! :new_rofl:

My stallion tore his eyelid a couple of years ago and had to have stitches. He healed up good as new and you can't even tell where it happened. Your horse will probably get real itchy while he's healing. I had to keep a fly mask with a halter over it on my horse to protect the eye from his rubbing.

That is a hazard that has been mentioned on here every few years or so & needs to continue to be so. Thanks. We try to squeeze our handles to where there is not a gap - hard to do but doable. I personally do not like duct tape because some of our horses chew on everything & I am afraid of a foal choking on a piece of tape.

:no: sorry to hear about your mini.

we still that is how my colt cut his nose, so we now pick up every bucket.

Back