Brutus had his butt surgery yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
My lab Brutus had his surgery yesterday and we picked him up last night. He had an infected anal gland off and on for about 4 months. Vet was hoping to cure it with antibiodics and daily expelsion, but it kept coming back. We were very leary about surgery because of his age, but he came through with flying colors. No loss of control over his bowels, I am so happy and he seems better than before even with just having surgery yesterday. It bleeds alittle when he poops, but that is common since there are stitches around his anus.

He did throw up late last night, but I think that's common with just having surgery that day, but other than that, he seems great. Vet only removed the one, he felt there would be a greater chance of incontinence if he removed both and the other one never gave Brutus any problems, so he still has the one.

He looks like a baboon since they shaved his butt and the anus is a little swollen and pink, but I am so happy with the results. He sent the gland off to pathology to make sure he got all the gland (if there was any left in there, another surgery would have to take place)...so hopefully we'll know in a couple days if he's in the clear.

I am so releived I just had to share. I was a basket of nerves yesterday worrying about him, but he's doing great
biggrin.gif

I'm so happy it went well!!! And that he's home where he belongs. As hard as it might be, don't laugh at his baboon butt because dogs get embarrassed over that kinda thing
laugh.gif

I am so glad he got through this ok!! Hopefully, this will give him back his quality of life and he will be less stinky. He obviously still has a strong will to live and be with you. Try not to laugh at his poor little butt!!

I can imagine how worried you were....I'm so glad everything went well and hope that Brutus is well on his way to recovery.

Hope Brutus will be a lot more comfortable after he heals. Poor guy has had his trials lately, hasn't he.

Thanks everyone....Brutus is running around like I haven't seen him do in a long while...vet says, although his bum is sore, it probably hurts less than what it did before. I know vet was trying to avoid surgery, but I wish it was done earlier. His limp in his hind end is almost completely gone (back leg same side as the infected gland) in one day. I'm thinking the bad smell he has will go away (I"m hoping)...I mean if you have an infected organ in your body for a long time, it's bound to make you stink. He is still alittle stinky, but not as bad, so I'm hoping it was from the infection. He is like a new dog!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back