brown buckskins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I had a filly this year that is brown but with darker brown points. Her sire is a smooty/smutty buckskin roan and her dam is a bay out of a buckskin sire. So I reg my filly as a dark or brown buckskin.

I was wondering if others have horses that are buckskin but dark, not gold?

100_5046.jpg

Our stallion "Bow" - Triple K Boogies Bow Tie" is a sooty Buckskin you can see some highlights in his face and chest in the summer indicating buckskin but he is very sooty- He has sired many dilutes and 2 double dilutes so no doubt that he carries cream although he also color tested to carry cream

bow5-4-08clip022.jpg

Lori, do you have any unclipped pics of Bow? He's so dark, he almost looks black bay. My stallion is registered as bay, but I wonder if its possible that he could be sooty buckskin; I've not tested him, maybe I should (he's by a buckskin stallion, so cream could be there).

Here's one of mine that is dark. I think she's smutty / sooty. She's sired by a smokey silver black and out of a double dilute... "Infinity":

Infinity--032309-5.jpg

283215_10150236407583155_522573154_7380304_6975320_n.jpg

Infinity-06262011-5--MARES.jpg

Lori, do you have any unclipped pics of Bow? He's so dark, he almost looks black bay. My stallion is registered as bay, but I wonder if its possible that he could be sooty buckskin; I've not tested him, maybe I should (he's by a buckskin stallion, so cream could be there).
Here is a picture of Bow not clipped and 1 with winter woolies- Bow is by a buckskin (LK Boogie Buckeroo)and out of a bay mare

he is also HZ for black

HPIM0427.jpg

IMG_0060yu.gif

Here is Bow as a foal (photo compliments of Triple K Miniatures)

bowfoalpicfromtriplek.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of Bow not clipped and 1 with winter woolies- Bow is by a buckskin and out of a bay mare

he is also HZ for black

HPIM0427.jpg

IMG_0060yu.gif

Here is Bow as a foal (photo compliments of Triple K Miniatures)

bowfoalpicfromtriplek.jpg
Thanks. I never would have taken him for a buckskin, even a dark or sooty buckskin.

Thanks. I never would have taken him for a buckskin, even a dark or sooty buckskin.
Don't you just love mini colors
default_smile.png

Yes it is hard to see but his eye color really shows the cream also he has a light tan color to his eyes

you can see it best in the winter woolies picture

Heres 1 more pic to show how his color changes right after dying his mane for a show before clipping in the spring

HPIM0794-1.jpg

I have one...not sure I can find a foal picture but if you go to my website, on the gelding page is JEM The Midas Touch. As a foal he was very obviously a buckskin... but he's very dark now.

I can post the picture here but not until I am on my PC later--I'm using my phone at the moment so can't do pictures.

The sire of several of my horses, Little Kings BT Buck Bandito, now owned by Gage of this forum, looks like a bay pinto, but he is buckskin... Maybe Gage will post
default_yes.gif

This is my 2012 filly, she is seal brown + cream, her sire was the same, but a leopard appaloosa. Photos before clipping and after clipping, haven't gotten the new ones on my website yet, but she is super dark after growing out the clipped coat!

Indigo.2.5-13-12-423x329.jpg

Indigo3-430x322.jpg

Here is one of her sire, I sold him last fall, and he was color tested to be Ee/Aa/Cr-. The two foals he sired for me were both dark buckskins (seal brown + cream), the colt last year is lighter than the filly this year. It's funny how the color dice roll!

CCMF Carousel Carnival

Carnival.rt3.6-12-10-371x273.jpg

Here's my sooty girl clipped and unclipped. This is the first year since being a foal she got her golden color back. Oops, can't post.

Here is Buckeye WCF Late Summer Dream, she is our yearling filly, she is a sooty Bucksin out of Obssesive Dream WCF. Her sire courtesy of Buckeye WCF. She is a sooty Bucksin, he is a sooty Palomino.

cache_3415212404.jpeg

cache_3361063104.jpeg

this is an interesting topic because I have a filly this year that I'm wondering about her color...yes, I will test her when I get around to it. :eek:) Sire black, dam palomino. I 'figure' she is smoky black, but was born with odd stripes.

2 days old and stripes visible on hind quarters, but she had more of them that don't show in this pic. (I had gone to move her out of the dirt. Why didn't she lie down in a clean place?)

DSC_0004.JPG

P1010006 web.jpg

At a month old

DSC_0099 jpg web.jpg

Now at 2 months her stripes aren't visible and her shed off places just look black. Her eyes are dark too and not the amber color I've had with some smokey blacks. Her palomino dam has very dark brown eyes too.

So going by foal color and pictures....what do you think? Smoky or not?

This Dakota who is a brown buckskin

As a baby and taken the other day in his winter woolies
default_smile.png

Dakota 1.jpgDakota 2.jpg

I have quite a few dark buckskins. My stallion Bandito is homozygous for the Seal Brown Agouti gene and also has a cream gene so he is a dark buckskin! I also have two fillies this year that are dark buckskin, one is his daughter and the other is a grand daughter of Samis Kid Banana, and the Top Banana bloodline have a lot of darker buckskins.

Here is Bandito.

IMG_1703.jpg

His Daughter, Iris.

Iris.jpg

And this is my other filly Adele.

adele-1.jpg

Believe it or not both these fillies were born regular buckskin and started to shed off darker and when I clipped them were REALLY dark!

You can see their newborn pics on www.carlsenminis.com

Gage

Love that Bandito
default_wub.png
I have two double dilute daughters by him, a number of granddaughters, and a gorgeous grey-smokey-grullo son
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back