broodmares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I read somewhere that a mares personality changes after giving birth. I assumed they meant permanently. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance.

Debbie

I think in SOME cases it does a little bit. Sometimes they are more mellow. Sometimes they are more cranky.

A lot of times they are more "of the cranky-mare personality" afterwards since they know what breeding is all about, they feel older and responsible for a baby and want less to do with other horses, they focus more on the foal than on humans and their priorities shift.

It depends on the horse though, as every one is individual.

Andrea

I only noticed a permanent change in one mare, and she was a QH mare. She had always been rather cantankerous, but became SO mellow after her first foal. Had I known that would happen, I would have bred her earlier, LOL. It would have made my life a lot easier! Lady had her first foal at 7 years old in 1997, and she's still much easier to deal with all these years later.

We do have one mini mare that gets very friendly and loving late in her pregnancies, but then she reverts back to normal after the foal is born. She's never been unfriendly, she just wants a lot of loving the later the pregnancy gets, LOL.

I have never noticed this on a permanent basis. Most mares, especially first time mamas, can be horribly overprotective of their foals til they figure out you arent going to eat it for lunch or something. I just treat the mares as normal and they get over it fairly quickly.

Its the hormones talking. Mares on progesterone tend to be more calm. Many people say "oh, she'll mellow out if you breed her". Well, that's true... but now we have yet another back yard baby and the mare returns to her normal crabby self once the foal is born
default_smile.png
Count on it as being a transient change, and maybe you'll be wrong and she's calm and polite for the rest of her life
default_smile.png
But unfortinately that doesn't happen all the time.

I've never seen any permenant changes in our mares' personalities. What I notice is DURING their pregnancies.....the b*tchy mares become more loving.......and the loving mares turn more b*tchy! :lol:

MA

Latest posts

Back