broken tooth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisch

Reaction score
One of my horses got kicked in the mouth and his front tooth is broken. Right at the top near the gum line. Does the vet need to pull it? He's eating okay and doesn't seem to be in any pain.

2 is a little early, but I suspect your horse has simply shed a 'baby tooth'. Usually I see this in a horse's 3 year old year, but some do shed them earlier than others. When a front baby tooth comes out, it does tend to look like the horse has been hit/kicked in the teeth & had one broken. This time of year your colt is likely getting on to 2 1/2 years, so that's really not so 'early' for the front teeth to start shedding.

In the event that your fellow did actually have a front tooth broken, the fact is it isn't a permanent tooth, so I wouldn't think you'd need to have anything done with it anyway. I assume it's not bothering him at all, and that being the case I would leave it. His permanent teeth will come through any time within the next year, and if there were a broken off cap it should get pushed off as the permanent tooth comes out.

But, I do suspect this is just a "shed" tooth and you'll see the permanent one starting to grow down very soon now.

Latest posts

Back