Bridgy's new adventure...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Oh my GOSH, I'm SO EXCITED! The trainer (Roger & Dale of Showtime Training Center) came to get Bridget yesterday, and we sent Desi along with her too. YAYY!!! Hubby stayed home yesterday so we could talk at better lengths than we were able to while at the show last weekend.

Well, we originally only had Desi out with Bridgy for Roger to take a look at for evaluation. Back when my son was little (he was only like 10 or 11 I think) he showed Desi when she was a baby, not quite a full year old, but it as in January, I think, so she showed as a yearling filly in her classes. That was her very first, and regrettably ONLY, show and he took her to Grand Reserve Yearling Mare back then. Then shortly after that, "Life" began to happen that took us in different directions, and long story short, we never made it back into a show ring with her since then. Well, over the years I've often pondered "what could have been" for her, had we stuck with her in showing. So any ways, I wanted Roger's opinion of her to see if she might "still have it", or if times might have changed from her "type" so much that she may have long since missed her boat, so to speak.

The moment he saw her, he had this guestioning expression and his first words were "How big did you say she was?" I said, well, I measured best I know how, and she measured 35", but I suppose she might be a little bigger. I never had her "officially" measured because back when she was shown, she was still a baby and not full grown, she measured for that, but as a baby with two more years still to grow. Then when she turned 3 I just measured her myself for her permanent papers, and I measured her best "I" could at 35". She'll be 12 next month, so that was 9 years ago and I only had a yardstick, so I could've been off, give or take.

Then he said he was very doubtful she was 35", that he felt she was much smaller, like possibly around 33" or so. I was like "HUH"???? Then...YAYYY!!! LOL! Then he got to look her over more and said she had a real pretty head, strong eye and her neck was a little crestier than what's in the show ring nowadays, but that could be due to her age, and the fact that she was very overweight. She had good length, but was a little crestier than he'd like for her as a halter prospect, but with a diet plan to bring her weight down and possibly sweat her neck, she could possibly be brought back into shape enough to at least "try" to show her again. He said he felt that she could be "iffy" as a halter horse for today's showing, but she'd DEFINATELY be great at Driving Performance classes. She's a beautiful mover! So with that, we decided that after Bridgy's big adventure, LOL, then we'd send Desi to him for some "touch up" work for driving classes. She's already trained to drive and all, but I felt it might help her with a competitive edge to get some formal schooling on actual "show ring etiquette". Then we could possibly show her in driving classes just for fun at local shows later this year, or next.

Then we moved onto Bridgy...

He said he REALLY LIKES HER, that she was very well proportioned for her size. He said you don't see many her size that's so well put together. I told him I never measured her myself, that I've just been going by what I was told by the folks I bought her from last year and they measured her at 27.5". She was only 2 1/2 then though, and is 3 now, as of this month. So she could possibly have grown another inch or two. He said he didn't feel she was too much taller than that at best, but would measure her to know for sure once he got her home.

But he said he was thinking by my description of her when I was telling him about her last weekend, that he was doubtful that she would be show quality, but he would come take a look at her anyways. Then when he saw her for himself he said he was VERY PLEASED and was now excited for her, that she really is very well put together and DEFINATELY show worthy! YAYYYYY!!!! He said her neck and legs are super refined and pending her "behavior" (she's a baaaaaad girl, LOL) she could even be ready to show as early as in just 2 weeks, at the Marianna, FL show coming up April 5th. YAYYYY!!!! He said she was in very nich shape physically already. He wouldn't have to feed her up at all, just maybe work her out a little for some toning, but other than that, she was in great shape for a show ring already. Yayyyyy!!!! WOOOOHOOO!!!!!

We asked of far along with her training could she be, if we sent her to train with them for at least 2 months, and he said she should be very well along with two solid months of working with them, so we paid for two months up front for her, and I guess we'll go from there depending on how well she does with that. He said he would like to take her to the Marianna, FL show that's coming up in 2 weeks, because she's already in physical well enough shape, she just needs to have some serious "guided instruction" for her "Lady's Manners", in how to behave like a little lady should, and not an ol' country bumkin that she is, LOL. Ok...she can also be more like a little spitfire at times too, when takes a hankering to it, LOL.

So we went to load her up and that's when little "Spitfire Bridgy" came out, LOL! She walked right in with no hesitations, but when he went to snap her tie, that's when she was like...Uhh, I don't THINK so! Normally, here at home, she ties very well, especially as I'm fussing over her with baths and grooming. I even full body shaved her a couple months ago and she was great for that. But, this in the trailer was new for her I guess, short of the trip to us when we had shipped last year. She started pawing and even rearing, and THAT shocked me, as she has NEVER reared like that before! But when she was loaded and ready to go, she was adamently bent on letting us CLEARLY know she did NOT wanna be left in there all alone, LOL. Roger was so patient with her, he was letting her take her time to "adjust" and trying to calm her.

Then Hubby just looked at me and said, "she just doesn't want to leave you". I told him, awe thank you honey and I know you are just trying to make me feel better...but, "OK", we'll go with that, LOL! In reality, she was just having a little "Diva hissy", ROFL! She was not happy with taking this trip all by her lonesome, LOL! So then Roger asked us if we mind if he went ahead and let Desi go the trip with her, hoping that would calm Bridgy down and then he'd bring Desi back for us in a couple days once Bridgy was settled into her new surroundings at their place. We said "Ok". So Desi, like the old trooper she always is, walks right in, gives a calming snort over to Bridgy and they nuzzled and Bridgy was all better now, and ready to go, LOL. Her little spitfire episode from fear was instantly transformed back into my sweet little Bridgy with Desi's comforting confidence, LOL.

Trailering is "old hat" for Desi, as though she's never been back to a show ring since she as a yearling, she has been to many other events in her lifetime that we've shared of her, and always LOVES going and doing the things we've done with her over the years. So, to her, this was just another trip off to somewhere FUN, even if she did have to be a babysitter for Bridgy all the while, LOL. She was her normal "ready and willing" old self. I was so thankful for that, for Bridgy's sake, LOL.

So then...THEY WERE OFF!

Well, then hubby and I got to talking. We called Roger back and asked if he would consider taking Desi for her "show ring etiquette" for driving classes now, since he already had her aboard and she'd be there for a few days already. He said that he'd be able, so we applied the two months originally for just Bridgy, to now one month's training for Desi in driving and one month for Bridgy in halter.

Soooooooo, they are BOTH now on their way to at least now have their "chance" to at least "try" for any potential show ring accomplishments. YAYYYYYYY!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!! I'm SOOOO EXCITED FOR BOTH MY GIRLS!!!!

Oh, also, when he got them home he said Dale helped him measure them both, and they measured Bridgy at 28", but she is wayyyy due for a hoof trim, that she's getting there soon. Plus, they measured Desi "conservatively" right at 34" too! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!! They are going to ask Marilyn Gilchrest to measure them both for "official" confirmation though. They said they feel Desi should definately have no problem measuring 34", if not well under. I don't know what that means for her, but I'm SUPER EXCITED anyways, LOL! It does make me wonder though, if my Champagne mare, Rose, is really 37" as I tried to measure her with just a yard stick too, LOL. She's at least two inches taller than Desi, so she may actually only be 35" or 36". After we get these two going for this year, I guess we'll have to see what we might can do with getting Rose into a show ring eventually too, LOL.

Oh, and they also said they are going to clip the head and neck on Desi today to try to get a better look at her and see if she may just need a diet and workouts to lose weight, or if she may need sweating or anything.

Anyways...that's all the news for now....if you've read along all this far anyways, LOL. I've attached pics of Desi & Bridgy, they are old pics of them, especially of Desi...but after their time with the trainers, I am DEFINATELY going to have to get some BRAND SPANKING NEW pics of them all spiffed and sprucey, LOL!

Thanks for bearing with me and letting me share. {{{MAJORHAPPYSIGHS!!!}}}

Warmest hugs,

Tanya

Here is Desi (Seminole's Frosted Desert Rose)

Desi1.jpg

and here is Bridgy (GMR Barefoot Bridget)

DirtyBlondeBridgy.jpg

Tanya,

I'm VERY excited for you!!

Be sure to let us all know how they do!!

I especially like Bridgy. :)

Susan O.

I am so excited for you all.
default_aktion033.gif
Gary will be going by the Boys on Saturday. Maybe he will get a chance to see the new clipped version of your beautiful girls. Hopefully we will be going to Marianna too. I can't wait to see them there.
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much Susan!
default_wub.png
{{{HUGS}}} This was such a BIG step for us, after all these years, LOL. But when hubby gave the green light for Desi to have her "chance" too, I was like...OH MAN!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
THIS IS REALLY HUGE!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I know it might be a "humdrum" thing for most folks, but for "us", THIS IS REALLY HUGE! And I was just SO EXCITED that I had to shout m'joy from the rooftops, LOL!
default_unsure.png
default_biggrin.png
default_new_multi.gif

I know their competition out there (in halter and driving) "nowadays" is pretty fierce
default_yes.gif
, but it's just so exciting see them finally at least have a "chance", ya know?
default_wub.png
Whether they actually achieve anything in the ring or not, at least they FINALLY have a chance to "try".
default_aktion033.gif

Hi Ruth, thanks so much!
default_wub.png
Please ask Gary to give the girls HUGS for us when he's there visiting this weekend. Can't wait to see you both at Marianna!
default_aktion033.gif
I just hope little Bridgy will "behave" herself, LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Tanya-[/SIZE]

Hope they do well for you - maybe we'll get to see all of you in Okeechobee in May!!

Good luck and have fun!

Barbie

Hi Barbie, Thanks so much!
default_wub.png
Yes, we plan to show her in Okeechobee too! Looking forward to seeing ya there!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back