Breyer customs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Anyone else here paint Breyers to match their ponies? Just finally finished Chaos. His lacing is particularly difficult to make look realistic and I spent a lot of time on the shading on his legs and stomach, plus his dapples are so dark in real life that they are also hard to replicate.FB6B46D5-D298-4FC0-833A-B5A8CC0F42A4.jpeg782FB60C-A65E-4AF6-9020-79F374B18A6C.jpeg7227C572-413E-4BDC-BC4D-3E9E1B1F466F.jpeg

The shading is beautifully done. I don't know anything about paintable Breyers. Are they gender generic? Your horse definitely looks masculine. Very handsome!
Thanks! They do have genders technically, but this mold seemed like a really good resemblance. It is just an old vintage model I repainted - I think it’s called the Merrylegs mold!

I love it! I have a few Breyers. I have friends that was really into them and I went to Breyerfest one year with them. She tried to get me into custom painting. I bought a few to paint but never did.
My daughter got into them so I decided to try it out! I will post the one I did of her pony when I find the pics. She wanted to go to Breyerfest but we just couldn’t swing it this year. You should give it a try! It is very soothing to paint them I think.

Thanks! They do have genders technically, but this mold seemed like a really good resemblance. It is just an old vintage model I repainted - I think it’s called the Merrylegs mold!
I do believe that might also be the Misty of Chincoteague mold. [Merrylegs was a pony gelding in Black Beauty, if I recall correctly; grey for certain, can't be certain of gender, as it's been so long since I read the book.]
Edited: my mistake, they are different molds, this one is Merrylegs. Been so long since I had many Breyers (only have a handful left); I have real horses, now, so I chose to reduce the Breyer herd and have less to dust. ;)

Yes Chanda, I believe Spotty keeps you busy enough trying to dust him off. As does Bliss' foal (who's name I can't recall off the top of my head!)
Bliss and Spotty are half siblings from the same foal year. Bliss hasn't not had a foal, but her dam, Bonny, had Rain two years ago. ;) Yes, Spotty keeps me busy, I think he bruised my foot last hoof trim, and it's still quite sore (more now than when he stomped on me).

Nice job! I had a friend who was very into the painting, we did a few customs together and I used to make some pretty good tack. She would paint the bottoms of the hooves, giving them tiny frogs and all, and I made tiny horseshoes for them. I don't have any of them anymore.

Bliss and Spotty are half siblings from the same foal year.
Welllllllll....that just goes to show one should listen to first instinct! 😆 I thought her name was Bliss, then second guessed myself. I hope your foot begins to heal soon. I know how busy you are in calving season.

Like many, I had Breyer's growing up. Never occurred to me to paint them! Are custom blanks unpainted bodies one paints? Or are all custom painted ones just painted over the originals?

You can sometimes buy unpainted breyers, and there is a kit that lets you paint one. But most people paint ones that are already painted. The amount of customization you can do is incredible. From moving legs to adding real hair or fake hair that looks more real.

Charlottein, I googled Gail Carriger since you have so many series by her. Interesting author!

A friend of mine has a daughter who is an author. I believe her genre is fantasy/romance. It's been a while since I read her first published volume (many of her works are Independently Published). Seeing all your books has prodded me to check her out again.

Back