Breeding Very Petite Miniature Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weelovely214

Reaction score
I am debating on whether or not to breed my Miniature mare next year. But she is very very petite (27") She has good, straight legs, a good bite, a gorgeous refined head and good bloodlines, Dam is a daughter of AF golden opportunity and sire is Amazing Sonrise Let Freedom Ring grandson of Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse & Glenns Southern Legend - goes back to Gold Melody Boy, Rowdy & FWF Little Blue Boy. So should she do ok delivering a foal? Is she too small to be bred? Would she need to be bred to something 28" or smaller?

Personally, I wouln't even consider breeding a mare that small and as refined as you are saying she is.

How old is she? With my smaller mares I wait until they are at least 4 or 5 and then have a vet check them to see if there is ample room inside. That is the major thing-a mare can be 34+ and not have enough room to give birth. All of my mares have checked out but I like to give them extra time to mature physically and mentally and build up some muscle. From there I make sure the stallion I breed them to not only compliments them but is fine boned and produces fine boned foals. I have a 30" stallion that I like to breed to my smaller mares as he produces such nice refined foals.

Just make sure you have a vet check her out and make sure the vet knows when she is due as you will want him/her there right away if something goes wrong. Breeding can be a very very sad ordeal as there are many things that can and will go wrong, dystocia being a big one with minis.

I dont think that I would want to try it, certainly not without a comprehensive vet report and the money to have the vet right there at the birth, plus the expense of surgery if necessary.

You also need to go back through the pedigrees of both your mare and any stallion you might choose to check on the heights of the 'ancestors', a 'large' mini on one or both side/s could mean a chance she might 'fall' for a big foal.

But I really dont think it is worth risking the life of this little girl is it?

Personally I would not do it either.

If you decide to do it, please have a vet check her to see if she even has room to pass a foal safely. It can be devastating to have the foal be stuck inside, and it does happen unfortunately, even to bigger mares.

My thoughts on a maiden mare that size are that a pre-breeding vet exam is necessary. Internal US and also palpation (to verify size of birthing canal, etc.). Ideally, this is done by a vet that is experienced with miniatures so they understand how much room is really required. My vet uses her hand out flat and then turns that flat hand all the way around in the area of the horn to see if she feels any "catches" or if she has to "squish" her hand a bit either when top to bottom or side to side. Don't know if I'm explaining that very well or not, but that's worked well for me.

The second thing (and it's just as important as the exam) is the stallion you choose. He MUST be incredibly refined and have babies on the ground so that you can look at those babies, their dams and then decide does he actually produce refined babies or is he just refined himself? Also look at the breeding behind your mare (as you already seem to be) and see what the general look and feel of the horses is...fine boned, stockier quarter horse types?

Then as someone else said, be prepared for the worst. You must decide prior to the breeding if you're willing to accept the risks associated with the foaling, but that is true for any size horse, not just a 27" one.

I have a 28" mare currently in foal with her first baby. I did the pre-breeding exams (TWICE - I'm a little obsessive about it
default_laugh.png
), I looked at her background and then I chose a stallion I thought would do her justice and produce the best baby possible. And having foaled out many mares, including for other people, I still decided this was more than I could potentially handle in my current set-up, so she's been sent away to a farm that has the facilities, vets, knowledge, etc to handle any situation better than I. Does all my effort ensure a smooth foaling? Nope. But I want to give her the best chance possible.

And lastly, to be brutally business-like about it and take out the emotion...I have her insured...because things can go wrong no matter what size the mare.

Now, having said all that, unless your mare is a superb example, is a national champion or has some unique attribute about her, why breed her? Why not enjoy her as she is, show her, love on her, whatever makes you happy. And if you just want to have a foal, maybe buy a baby that is just weaned or at least find an experienced broodmare that is bigger. That won't guarantee you have no problems, but it may reduce your odds of a heartbreak.

Good luck in your decision!

Latest posts

Back