breeding stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
And overseas are you, USA
default_wink.png

Here, (netherlands) to get papers with youre horse (no matter what breed) you have to have a mare and a stallion which are registerd by a studbook. The stallion must also be aproved. If he is not aproved by the studbook, no papers.

For example:

I breed my unregisterd mare with an aproved stallion --> no papers

I Breed my registerd mare with an aproved stallion --> papers

I breed my registerd mare with a registerd, but not aproved stallion --? no papers

At my boarding stable they also breed AQHA, and I understand that this stallions don't have to be aproved. In fact, you can use any AQUA registerd stallion on any AQHA (or APHA) mare to get full papers.

Now I understand that this is also the fact within the AMHA.

My Question in short: How do you know a stallion is a good stallion? That he has not any genetic disability's? (bad legs for example)

You have to look at their prodigy, their sire, and the stallion himself. If there is a genetic abnormality/disease like leathal white, HYPP, etc, and there is a risk factor involved, you can ask their status. If they are clean, carrying, or display the disease, they have to tell you.

As far as AQHA/APHA, they do not do stallion trials like the warmbloods. Any registered horse is in the main studbook. The AQHA has an auxilary studbook for TB crosses called "the Appendix", and the APHA has an auxilary book for solid colored horses, called breeding stock. There are additional studbooks in both registries for non-breed stallions. IE my appendix QH stud can be registered as in the Paint books, but only for breeding purposes. He is not a paint. A thoroughbred can register with the AQHA or the APHA to allow QH/PT mares to be bred, but again, the TB is "just" a TB, he doesn't belong to the other registries, but he is registered with them.

The rules for crossing in and out of those studbooks are slightly more complicated, but very straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
You look and research. Breeding is an art and a science, and in this country it's up to breeders to educate themselves. Showing is part of what every breeder should do - have your horses evaluated by judges, people who travel the country and see a lot of miniature horses.

Nathan, I just saw you posted. Not to steal this thread, but I wanted to ask you what sort of results you had using AI on AMHA horses. I've not seen much of a discussion on it, but personal communication seems to indicate that AI with minis doesn't have as high of a conception rate as with the larger horses. Have you seen this?

I do not know, I've only provided stallion services for ponies and minis, I've never provided any mare services. A big part of me wonders how much of the "fault" is the mare management rather than the stallion fertility/management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back