Breeding Stallions in Pasture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
This is a new one for me. Puck is out with 12 mares now. Some of the mares are now foaling and he is wonderful. He stays back from the mamas and babies and keeps the other mares away from them. He comes to me for some petting every time I go out there.

I don't think there is a gentler kinder stallion in the world----But this morning he would have killed me if he could have caught me.

I picked up the afterbirth of a mare that foaled last night and started to walk away with it. He must have seen me. He came at me ears back and squealing and rearing and pawing. I dropped it and went running. He just stood there guarding it. Just goes to show- never let your guard down with a stallion in breeding season, I guess.

I also dont allow my mares to foal in the pasture. I have them setup in foaling stalls with a monitor and a camera. Yikes! I have never known a stallion to be aggressive like that even when taking mares and/or foals in and out of the pasture. You must have had your running shoes on!
default_new_shocked.gif

I'm glad you got out of there quickly!

Well, I didn't get to see my stallions behavior with a live foal... but when I went out in the pasture and found my mare's little filly already gone, he was standing right next to her, and so was the momma. They both just looked lost.
default_no.gif
Neither of them put up a fight when we moved the filly later that day, but they just followed us and nickered. It was sad.

Latest posts

Back