Breeding Small Mares...YOUNG!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I delivered my first foal in 1981 and have always liked the smaller mares but would not even consider breeding an under 30" mare to a much larger stallion regardless of his refinement and breeding any mare at 2 is just not in my mindset. Now, I had 5 mares under 30" at one time and their height had nothing to do with producing a live foal - it was the size of their birth canals. Two were sisters. One has a birth canal that a freight train could get through and the other one was same height but had one live foal naturally and two C sections where we lost both foals. Then they had another sister who was 30" and she has spit out babies like clock work. So, I would have the mare checked by a vet internally before I purchased her as a broodmare if she is small. On the other hand, I have had 33-inch mares have problems because they were small "inside." It's a crap shoot.

I am one of those people who literally do not leave the farm once a mare starts bagging. I have cameras on four stalls that go into my TV in the bedroom and I can actually see them breathing. I am at a point in my life where I do not work outside the home so can do that. But being there when she goes into labor is so important. If you need to do any positioning the best time is after the water breaks and before the bubble appears and then you can get to the foal immediately if it is a red bag. When it is a breach, I have even been able to push the butt back in, grab the hind legs, and get it out. I am a firm believer if you get the mare in foal, you owe her to be there when she needs you. If you can't do that there are quite a few "foaling facilities" that will help you out.

If you get the mare I hope everything turns out well for you. I, too, am very emotional. I never had two-legged children but my four-legged ones are just like my kids. I have one mare that is 28 this year that I have had since she was 18 months and another which is 25 this year which I have had since she was 8 months. I have lost two others who are in urns on my bedroom dresser. I cannot imagine my life without these little miracles to love and care for every day.

Troubhiswilldmommy.jpg
I was nervous enough last summer, with my 29 inch mare whom I bought in foal to a 33 inch, fine boned stallion. It was Lottie's second foal and I watched her like a hawk! And missed the foaling by about a half hour! When I made it out to the barn, mommy and baby were both standing up and looking great! Her foal was 21 inches tall! I'm glad, when I gave birth, that my baby was alot more than 8 inches shorter than me!!! Lottie sure likes to have her "private" time--this year she was accidentally bred by my 30 inch trouble-making donkey jack, and I never saw it! Thru the fence? I am excited to see how big/tiny this little mule will be! Above is a picture of Lottie and her son, Troubadour. He was almost as big as her before being weaned!
Just wanted to add-I think I was really lucky and this is an exception! Lottie was 6 at the time. She has quite a big rear for being such a little girl too. I will never breed her to such a big stallion. I think breeding her to about 30-31 inches is as high as I would go.

Don't do it!
default_no.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Even if the mare makes it through it, if she has trouble, she may not be able to carry again. Why risk the heart ache? Perhaps you can tell them that you will look at the mare again after she is foaled out if she has no problems and a live foal. Or look at buying a foal that is already on the ground.
default_aktion033.gif

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back