Breeding questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
OK I have a couple people who are interested in breeding to my stallion. He's a 3 yr old double Buckaroo bred buckskin who has NO foals but has covered two of my mares..NOT confirmed yet. I'm also moving next summer (fall at the latest). I would offer NO guarantees since he is unproven but would breed back until the time I leave. I know most of you would pass because he IS unproven, but what would you consider a reasonable stud fee, mare care and would you offer any sort of refund if the mare doesn't settle? Anything else I should include in a stallion contract? Any opinions appreciated!

I haven't had breeding experiences with horses, but, I bred dogs on a pretty large scale for years. I know they are nothing alike but this is what I did for first time sires breeding to others stock. I charged $100 down with $50 being refundable in no viable births and then the rest when a litter was born. I never had to refund anything but always made sure there was a contract. Or you could have then get the mare vet checked in foal and get your money then.

You could also charge a nonrefundable mare fee to keep her while she is in heat.

I know, I probably wasn't any help, but tried!

Fran

Latest posts

Back