Breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
I will be bringing in an outside mare for the first time to be bred to my stallion. We have discussed the stud fee and mare care costs. My question here is, what should be included in a contract concerning liability on the mare. Am I totally responsible for the mare while she is here? I plan to use every precaution to be sure everyone is safely cared for while they are here, but also worry about unexpected events. Just curious how others handle this part of it. Anyone can PM me if they prefer. Thank you, Karin

I would have them sign a contract stating that any accident recieved on your place is their responsibility. Even though you take precautions, I would just be sure. You never know. Maybe make sure they have insurance on the mare before so all is covered in the end. When I had mares on my place, I would treat them like my own. Brushed them, made sure my stallions hooves were smooth so he didn't leave marks, etc. Just so the client is assured their mare was in good care and they would come back for future use.

Also, give them a time line as to when they need to pick their mare back up. I've heard stories of lots of people accepting outside mares and then the people wouldn't pick them up for months!

Thank you, Keri. You pointed out some important things to me. I know the owner , but this is a business and I want to handle this in a professional manner. I, too, intend to care for other's horses as I would my own, but only want to be "covered" just in case. Thank you so much for replying. (Now I need to work on a "contract"!)

Please, please, PLEASE!!!!! Put TONS of thought into your contract, and make it cover every eventuality that you can possibly concieve of, and many you can't! This is no one-page dealio, it needs to be several pages and be very complete and consice without scaring away your clients. Please feel free to look at mine!

http://www.aztecstables.com/docs/aztec%20s...%20contract.pdf

Back