Breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovable minis

Reaction score
Some of you know I sent 2 mares out to be bred. The day they got to the farm they were both in heat. Both were bred. Now what I am wondering is can a mare show heat signs and be bred? Hard to explain. Both mares seem to come back in heat. The one the stallion is doing his part and I guess the first time around she was going out when she got there. But my other mare is showing the signs but the stallion wants nothing to do with her and I guess she is not too interested in HIM but shows the signs. Could she be bred??

Thanks

Very possibly. Yes, they can show signs of being in heat and be bred. I had a mare do this last year, and she allowed him to breed (it was his first year so I dont think he cared!)

I would have the mares checked to see if they settled.

If they did not, and she seems in season, I would have her checked to see if there is a problem- most times stallions know more than we do when it comes to some things and if they are not interested, there is a reason.

I would first start with a preg check and go from there

I would suspect YES. You don't say how old the stallion is, but a fellow who has a few breeding seasons under his belt seems to know which mare to expend his energy on, if you get my drift.
wink.gif

MA

Donna, by then he may know whose just teasing and whose the real deal. My two Jr stallions would breed a mare that's due anyday but not my older two!

I was pondering this whilst attempting to cajole my younger stallion into covering a visiting mare. There are two possibilities before we ever start going into "are they bred"?? One:- the stallion like mine is a herd sire and just not bothered- I had to wait quite a while today before he cooperated. Two:- If he is running with your mares you just might not have seen him breed them. My horse does not breed during the day, if you want to know if he is really "performing" you have to go out at night (another reason I waited so long, and do NOT like running stallions . Whinge, moan, grumble!!) If a mare is showing normal heat I would assume she is in season and not bred. Mares that return when bred ( and I do have one family line that do this) are a pin, but their return heat is not "normal" it will be shorter or half hearted, or not at the right time. When a mare returns at exactly the right time, I think she is in season.

Back