Breeding Question ..I need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old mini mare that is in heat but will not stand for my stallion to mount her..Even though she is in heat she will clamp her tail down tight and kick the crap out of him...Anyone have any idea's? Even the neighbors big 16 hand stallion broke out of his pen and came down here because of her being in heat..

This mare has never been bred before..I'm stumped...

Maiden mares can be frightened by a loud and overly excited stallion. Try putting them in stalls side by side so they can talk awhile before he attempts to breed her.How long has she been in heat? She may be just coming in heat and not ready to breed yet.

Agree with the above.. Tease her well before trying to breed her as well.. If she's just coming in, or just going out, she may still show signs of being in full heat but may not be receptive to the stallion and stand for him.

Maiden mares can be frightened by a loud and overly excited stallion. Try putting them in stalls side by side so they can talk awhile before he attempts to breed her.How long has she been in heat? She may be just coming in heat and not ready to breed yet.

She was winking and throwing off urine tuesday but wouldnt let him breed her..She pinned her ears and wanted to kick him wed and thursday so I gave up...lol...

I just got my stallion in Feb and he is very excited and not very easy when it comes to breeding..I'll try putting them beside each other and see what happens..

I was thinking about letting her out with him but didnt want him to get hurt as he dont want to take no for an answer..

Whats your thoughts on them together?

Thanks so much..

Agree with the above.. Tease her well before trying to breed her as well.. If she's just coming in, or just going out, she may still show signs of being in full heat but may not be receptive to the stallion and stand for him.
I have been letting them around each other since the first part of Feb..But never let them together..Could it be that maybe she just wasnt in good this time but might be her next heat?

We've only had one mare do this and we couldn't breed her until the next year. She just wasn't ready. Don't force anything or you'll never get her bred and absolutely don't put them out together if he is an agressive breeder. She'll tell you and the stallion when she is ready. Until then, let her and the stallion get to know each other through a fence.

I agree with ohmt, I wouldn't risk putting them together.. I know my girls are just now starting to cycle for the year, so perhaps her next heat she may be more willing. Until then I'd get him used to being handled and respecting you, let them get to "know" each other through a fence, and hopefully the next heat you'll be able to successfully cover her.

I didnt feel comfortable putting them together...I'm going to put them in a stall beside each other and go from there...Thanks so much for everyones replies...Its good to have a place to go for help..

I don't beleive in forcing. If a mare is that dead set against it there's a good reason there someplace. I usually think Mother Nature is not on our side and I don't push the issue.

It's very possible that she just isn't having a real cycle or she had already ovulated by the time you were trying. I always tease them from outside the stall before breeding even when I know they are in season. It gives the mare a little time to "warm up".

I agree with all the above, never force the issue especially with a maiden mare and an inexperienced stallion. Stalling them close is a good idea, I wouldn't be too happy about having them out with just a fence between them - depending upon your fencing of course - for safety reasons and also because of the neighbours big stallion that you mentioned, you and they could be in serious trouble if he suddenly got access to your place!

I also agree with Marty - Mother Nature sometimes has unknown reasons as to why a mare wont breed. I would give your little girl more time, but also perhaps be asking if her previous owners tried breeding her (how long have you had her?)

Anna

Hobbles and sedation and hand breeding is what I'd do. Wrap her tail good with vet wrap and hold it to the side. I'm willing to bet as soon as he's on her for a few seconds she'll relax her tail and let him in. Good luck!

OR she just may not care for him - and there is nothing biological about it. Stallions and mares have their own likes and dislikes - just the same way we do. I once worked with a Trakehner stallion who did not care for grey mares. We always had to hope another mare was in heat at the same time in order to convince him to cover the grey - sort of a diversion at the last moment. AI was the best solution there. One stallion here does not care for pintos with too much white. Even wild stallions have been known to build their bands up out of mares/colours they prefer.

Sometimes, they just do not click - and aside from breeding hobbles, twitches, AI etc - there is very little you can do about it.
default_unsure.png

I've seen the same as Tagalong, not often but every once in a while I have a mare that just flat out refuses the stallion I've chosen for her, but will accept a different one. One mare that did that had two foals by the particular stallion previously and then decided she didn't like him anymore.
default_rolleyes.gif
I don't force the issue, I figure my mares have a reason and I respect that.

On the other hand, I have a friend who had a maiden mare that wouldn't accept a stallion period. Didn't matter how fully in heat she was, she fought like crazy. My friend did as Nathan suggested, with sedation and breeding hobbles and finally did get the mare bred. After her first foal she was able to be covered in a pasture-breeding situation.

I want to Thank Everyone that replied to my Question...I did put my stallion in the stall next to her after reading the replies and she was in standing heat...

Thanks again to all...

Latest posts

Back