Breeding Q

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
This is kind of a repeat question but thought with it being breeding season I might get more input.

Hi. I was wondering what everyone thought about a mare I have. She's had previous foals, but it's been a couple of years. I really want to get her bred now that I have my own stallion. 2 years ago we went w/ a outside stallion for 1 cycle but she didn't take. I think now that I have my own stallion I know why, she shows heat all of the time even when I just go out to feed! :DOH! Last year I didn't breed her in the spring but she was ultrasounded and cultured which all looked good, so no cysts. Short of spending a bunch of money for ultrasounds to see where she actually is in her cycle are there any suggestions. Hubby is against this....thinks I can get it done the "old fashioned way"

At this time I've bred her every other day since last Sat and she has been showing more and more intense signs of being in heat, instead of less. Do I continue the every other day breeding until she shows less signs? Or do I wait a couple of weeks and tease her again? I've thought about prostaglandin, but not sure this is a good idea since I don't know where she is in her cycle... If she doesn't stop showing signs I've thought of pasture breeding her after I get my other "normal" mare settled in June. But then I worry that if she is pregnant she may loose the foal if she allows the stallion to continue breeding. I've never bred a mare more than 2-3 times a cycle.
default_wacko.png

Thanks

Danielle

I once had a mare that also seemed to be in heat CONSTANTLY. It seemed no matter how many times you bred her, she was still willing to stand for the stallion. What happened with her, was that her egg was maturiung, but not releasing, so it wan't sending her body the message it needed to go out of heat. The vet ended up giving her a shot to release the ripened egg and then a shot to bring her back into heat. Then I bred her as normally would, and she settled. Good Luck with your mare.

Latest posts

Back